Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Abnormal delay in pinging the gateway ip through WAN 2.5G port.

shejialun
Aspirant

Abnormal delay in pinging the gateway ip through WAN 2.5G port.

Hello

When my SXR80 WAN 2.5G port is connected to the ISP's gateway, the computer is connected to the LAN through the cable, and then the latency is very unstable when pinging the ISP's gateway ip on the computer, however, this problem is solved when I set the WAN port in the WAN settings to port2 (1G), and I tried to use a NETGEAR R7000 as an uplink DHCP gateway. then the problem does not occur.

Test process: R7000 as DHCP gateway, SXR80's WAN 2.5G port is connected to R7000's LAN port, at this time, the computer is connected to SXR80's LAN port, and then ping the R7000's management ip on the computer.

So the conclusion is that there is a hardware failure in the WAN 2.5G port of SXR80, or a router software problem.
Since I live in China, I contacted China Netgear tech support and they told me that they did the same test as me and the result was that they were unable to reproduce the problem and concluded that it was a WAN 2.5G port failure.

Since I ordered from Amazon China in Amazon USA, Netgear China rejected my warranty request, and Amazon USA could not assist me with my order warranty because of the different login account, even though I have the order number from Amazon USA, so please tell me how I can proceed with the hardware warranty, which should be until November 2026 through Netgear's official website.

case number: 48171868

0428_1.jpg

Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

If you bought it from Amazon US you have contract with Amazon US.

Assuming the device was properly registered, it's registered with Netgear as a US device, in a US location. Device return goes on your expenses, and exchange shipment can go only to an US address, they won't ship it abroad.

Where you live or where you have exported the device to is your own personal choice. 

One additional reason is that you have exported an FCC regulatory device to abroad, FCC regulations (not Netgear!) don't permit to change the radio config to other regulations, so you are operating a device illegal to operate in China mainland.

FMI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

I doubt you can order a US device from Amazon China. Sure, Amazon has (or had) a very poor customer information policy and does not correctly inform their customers, they often allow shipping ways beyond of what is allowed. Yes, Amazon e.g. US does typically not care if the customer is ordering for shipping to an address abroad, so Amazon does (or did) often allow to ship FCC regulatory devices to addresses abroad, handing over the full risk and responsibility for the import to the receiver. It does not matter if Amazon does handle the shipping to abroad: You are the buyer, and become the importer for the destination address. 

By far not a lawyer on trading and importing, however: In brief, this is what applies for self-importing radio equipment into Switzerland (and more generic into Euro.... First hurdle will be the lack of CE mark on the FCC devices 8-)

Message 2 of 12
shejialun
Aspirant

Hello @schumaku 

1. How do I find out where my device is registered?
2. According to the official website, my device was purchased on December 1, 2021, so can I apply for an exchange now?
3. I can ship my device from abroad to a designated US address, but I can only ship an exchange device to the US, right?

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Whatever is the "official Web site" for you.

What shows https://my.netgear.com/ exactly?

Please challenge Netgear, I have -no- idea what should be specific for the Chinese mainland market when it comes to the product registrations.

Message 4 of 12
shejialun
Aspirant

By official website I mean “https://my.netgear.com“

The website sees that I registered this product and shows when it was purchased and when it was registered, and that's all.

Now China Netware thinks I didn't buy it from mainland China and there's no invoice, and wants me to contact Amazon, Amazon USA wants me to contact China Amazon because I placed the order using a China Amazon account, and China Amazon wants me to contact China Netware to deal with it.

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

As I'm no no aspect Netgear, only Netgear (and Amazon) can deal with this. As you have an order number from Amazon US (and an order confirmation) my -guess- is that you have received a US/FCC model. Netgear can certainly check this. As well, if my assumption is correct and you received an FCC version (read a US version) this should be visible based on the available channels for the 5 GHz band (about 96...144) which are prohibited in China mainland, along with the channels 12 and 13 which are typically not available on FCC models.  

Convinced @Nivedita should be able to check this for you.

Ref. the higher latency to your 192.168.1.1 address (best guess this is the SXR80 LAN IP address): Is there also an SXS80 (Orbi Pro Wi-Fi 6 satellite) in the game and data path? As this might be wireless (if having it deployed as wireless Mesh, so s wireless backhaul, no wired backhaul) higher latency is well possible.

Message 6 of 12
Nivedita
NETGEAR Expert

@schumaku , Sure, I'll check this with our internal team and keep you posted.

Message 7 of 12
shejialun
Aspirant

@schumaku @Nivedita 

I'm sorry maybe I misdescribed it, 192.168.1.1 is the ISP's gateway address and the SXR80 is working on the 10.0.0.0 network segment.
The problem I'm having is that the WAN port of the SXR80 is connected to the ISP's gateway, and the computer is connected to the SXR80 LAN port, and pinging the ISP's gateway on the computer has a delay of several hundred or several thousand milliseconds.
But when I set the WAN port of the SXR80 to port2(1G), this problem no longer occurs.
Also have submitted case to China Netgear tech support, 48171868, but they tested it and thought it was a WAN port hardware failure.
However, I found that none of the uplinked gateways have STP settings, so I can't rule out an STP issue, but I can't disable it to do the test, and I can't see the ping latency data in wireshark, and it doesn't seem to affect my internet access.

Message 8 of 12
BasuKhodanapur
Apprentice

Hi @shejialun ,

Can you please help with below details to understand issue better, we can't reproduce issue in our setups.

1. What is your Orbi setup is it a 1:1 or 1:2 (1 Router and 2 Satellites)

2. What is the firmware version, if it's not latest version I will suggest you upgrade to V4.3.3.200

3. Network topology 

4. Satellites are connected wired/wireless 

5. Please provide debug logs: Enable debug logs and try to reproduce the issue and share the debug logs

6. I have attached screenshot for how to capture the logs 

1. IP address of Router/debug.htm

2. Enable LAN/WAN Packet capture option 

3. Click on Start capture 

4. Reproduce the WAN Port issue wait for 5minutes 

5. Click on Save debug logs 

6. Share the debug logs

BasuKhodanapur_0-1714992226730.png

Thanks,

Basavaraj

Message 9 of 12
BasuKhodanapur
Apprentice

Hi @shejialun 

We are unable to reproduce issue in our setup. So can you please provide debug logs

and below information.

1. What is the firmware version devices are running, If not on latest firmware, suggest you upgrade to V4.3.3.200

2. Network topology 

3. From which client issue seen, Is it with specific client or any other clients

4. Please share the debug logs, Capture debug logs when the issue is seen 

Steps to capture debug logs

a. IP address of router/debug.htm

b. Enable lan/wan packet capture option

c. Click on "Start capture"

d. Reproduce the issue 

e. wait for 5min to capture the logs

d. Click on "Save debug logs"

And please share the debug logs

Please see screenshot attached 

BasuKhodanapur_0-1715068345956.png

Thanks

Basavaraj

Message 10 of 12
shejialun
Aspirant

Hello @BasuKhodanapur  @Nivedita 

1. What is your Orbi setup is it a 1:1 or 1:2 (1 Router and 2 Satellites)

1 Router and 1 Satellites

2. What is the firmware version, if it's not latest version I will suggest you upgrade to V4.3.3.200

V4.3.3.200

3. Network topology 

Nivedita_1-1715073293390.png

4. Satellites are connected wired/wireless 

wireless

5. Please provide debug logs: Enable debug logs and try to reproduce the issue and share the debug logs

I have performed three scenarios of getting logs, using the R7000 as a gateway, and ISP gateway, and setting the  WAN of the SXR80 to port2(1G), where when connecting to the R7000 and the ISP gateway, after each reset or reboot of the SXR80, sometimes the ping will be delayed and sometimes it won't.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qVPFgvcs80pmPBXVTkjcYg3TNBnpS1mG?usp=sharing

Message 11 of 12
shejialun
Aspirant

Hello @BasuKhodanapur  @Nivedita 

3. From which client issue seen, Is it with specific client or any other clients

Wired and wireless clients

See last reply for other questions, thanks.

Also Nivedita is assisting me with this via private message, thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements