× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Multiple WAX630E AP's, only assign certain SSID's to each?

Multiple WAX630E AP's, only assign certain SSID's to each?

So I have 3 WAX630E AP's running. There is a guest network configured as well. I want the guest network to be available on only 2 of the AP's. When I remove the SSID from the AP I do not want to have guest access, it removes it from the others as well. How do I prevent this?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Multiple WAX630E AP's, only assign certain SSID's to each?

Wondering if you have GN configured on all first. Then turn OFF the two APs you want to keep it on. Then while the 3rd one is one, disable GN there. Then turn back ON the other two APs, does this work or does GN disappear from these two after they come to ready? 

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

With Insight management, all devices at the same location get the same wireless SSIDs defined, there is no choice to which AP an wireless network will be deployed. Of course, with only local per-AP management, you can do what you want - but are loosing nice features like seamless roaming for that SSID. 

Whatever makes up a guest network in your deployment - neither the local WAX6xxx nor Insight does talk anywhere about a guest network ... whatever you make with the SSID, whatever security you deploy, whatever bridge or NAT mode you define on the SSID, it will always be the same on all devices at that location.

In Insight mode, it should not be possible to remove an SSID from the device local Web UI anyway - the garbage can icon is supposed to be grayed, and not workable.

PS. Curiosity question: Had you posted the same text to the Netgear Community before under different username(s), or had the Spam and Scam Mafia stolen your text from the Netgear section on another popular exchange platform these days?

Message 3 of 5

It seems odd to me that Insight won't let you do this, but I suppose there are valid reasons why.  No, I have not posted this elsewhere in the community, however, I did post this on Reddit on the Netgear subreddit and was directed here.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Ok, we know that sone wannabe smart Spanner and Scammers are often copy posts from Reddit, difficult to impossible for is normal user to check reliability. In fact, this happened to your Reddit post, too and shameless copies appearing here. If in question, we tend to report these to the  moderators.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements