× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
0 Kudos

Custom Ingress/Egress Rates for GS308E

Model Version: GS308E

Firmware: V1.00.11EN

Request: Allow users to manually enter rates for Ingrees/Egress. At this time, one can only select between several presets, from 512Kbit/s to 512Mbit/s.

Ideal solution: Users should be able to enter rates manually.

Use case scenario: My internet speed is 15Mbit download and 0.5Mbit upload. When someone uses Wifi in the household, my Ping jumps in games. I got a GS308E to limit usage, but found out that the lowest limit I can use for ingrees is 512Kbit/s, which is still more than I have with my provider. As a result, when someone uploads something my ping goes up to 700-900ms.

Also, I would like to limit egress to 5Mbit/s, and I can only select between 4 and 8.

It seems like a pretty basic feature to have, so I'm hoping this can be introduced in a future firmware update, especially the lower limit for ingress.

Thank you!

arminolat_0-1699969323346.png

2 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Somehow I'm lost in understanding the idea of your proposal. How should a device, e.g. here a switch, throttling the bandwidth up and down bring any relief on your "ping" rates, in fact an effect on these unlucky asymmetrical speed rates, caused by lack of prioritization of the uplink packets - or stating it different poor design and awful implementation of the NAT router. Reminds me to discussions and and my proposals towards relief I made to  big vendor of DSL... 

Look, the problem with your poor ping (and I don't talk of ICMP Echo requests only, generally the uplink traffic of the basic Transmission Control Protocol = TCP) introduced almost 50 years ago, causing your Internet uplink to saturate so essential control can't flow in timely fashion, and you can't take advantage of the higher downlink speed  - caused by those ISPs which are scared giving their customers sufficient uplink speeds, in the aim to stop their customers from providing Internet "services".

Tempted to state you try to put the cart in front of the horse.

arminolat
Follower

@schumakuhi!

I had the same issue with ping jumping until I limited the egress rate. Now downloads don't impact my ping in games anymore.

But uploads do. I thought that this might be the solution to the issue. Additionally, I don't see how a feature like manual rates could be complicated to implement.

Thank you!