× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?

ORBI (et al) WEB/APP INTERFACE - MORE AGGRESSIVE DEVICE POLLING

Currently (and historically) Netgear does not always show all connected devices. This leads to a loss of user confidence in the web interface and app's ability to reflect the current state.

Example- my currently connected NAS is not listed in the Attached Devices even though I previously reserved an IP address for it under Advanced -> LAN Setup. (The NAS indeed is using this reserved address.) The NAS is a wired and active connection but is only visible under Advanced->Access Control-> "View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network". Notes- 1) other active devices are also listed as inactive. 2) normally Access Control is not implemented - this is the only visibility to devices known to be active.

Use case- provide more aggressive active device polling.
1 Comment
schumaku
Guru

There is no polling at all - the "connected devices" in this device class (and floated over to these "SMB" Orbi systems) is based on the DHCP activity and/or active Internet usage. Popular example is a simple configurable network switch, virtually disappearing from the list once the admin has configured a fixed IP address. Yes, I'm fully with your idea.