× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does anyone have the ReadyNAS VMDK for VirtualBox?

OzJD
Tutor

Does anyone have the ReadyNAS VMDK for VirtualBox?

There wasa VMDK that could be used in VirtualBox, which is now a broken link. Just wondering if anyone has it still that would be willing to share it? I just want to ensure that I can keep my ReadyNAS running for some time, and the image would be helpful. Happy to share what I come up with on GitHub

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@OzJD wrote:

There wasa VMDK that could be used in VirtualBox, which is now a broken link. Just wondering if anyone has it still that would be willing to share it? I just want to ensure that I can keep my ReadyNAS running for some time, and the image would be helpful. Happy to share what I come up with on GitHub

Are the ones posted here what you are looking for:

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@OzJD wrote:

Are the ones posted here what you are looking for:

Message 2 of 9
OzJD
Tutor

This isn't the original VMDK, but a modified OVA.

However, for what I need it for, it should be sufficient. Thank you.

If anyone does see this and has the original, that would also be much appreciated.

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, and they are updated to the current OS versions.

Message 4 of 9
saudade
Apprentice

You can get it here.  This is the person Github page.  He has a link to his google drive to get the ReadyNASOS-6.6.0-x86_64.VMDK file, as well as the instructions to set it up.. Make sure you click on the "download" link.  The "VMDK Files" link goes to a page with previous version images.  All those links dead end on Netgear's site.

https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0814.html

Be warned, it will prompt you to upgrade to 6.10.10

Message 5 of 9
OzJD
Tutor

I can see that the OVA are updated, but would prefer to have the original...

I'm currently looking at some options, as I want to ensure I can continue to use my ReadyNAS for some time after this forum is gone. I've created a GitHub repository where I'll eventually contribute some things.

For now, I've got the RAIDiator and ReadyNAS versions that are needed to have an up to date system. I've included the open source code, too.

https://github.com/ProntoNAS/ReadyNAS

I do plan to put a few instructables on the main branch, and then I'll probably look at creating a new custom FW with a later version of Debian. With that said, sometimes I create repos and stop contributing to them (FWIW I use the latest Docker and Portainer on my ReadyNAS, which provides me a GUI for various apps). I also forked the ReadyNAS SDK including the Wiki so that is archived, too.

This probably should go in it's own post, but I'll see what happens.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@OzJD wrote:

I can see that the OVA are updated, but would prefer to have the original...

You can get the OS-6 download from Wayback:

The 4.2.28 one is still on mega.nz

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The main reason I distributed it as an .OVA is that if you boot the VM without any drives attached and networking enabled with Internet access, it will auto-update.  Using the .OVA, you start out with drives.

Message 8 of 9
OzJD
Tutor

I didn't think of using Wayback - Seems like an obvious answer.

The download for the OVA is pretty significant, and

I did just create an unadulterated 6.10.9 VMDK (ReadyNASOS6.10.9-x86_64.vmdk) which obviously doesn't have the updated repositories etc. but is still useful for testing. It doesn't auto-update, but does show a notification offering the update. The total size is 110MB - The OVA you've provided is 1.29GB, probably due to the expanded drives.

I have also just backed up (~5.8GB) the ReadyNAS 6.10.10 repo (which still contains apps!).

My current thought is to create a 6.10.11, which would have ReadyCloud removed, apps back in (updated featured apps), and updated (working) repositories. From there, it's probably worthwhile considering the options of upgrading some of the software.

It looks like ReadyNAS 6.10.9 is hammering (DNS) looking for two Netgear domains (one was peernetwork.netgear.com, I can't remember the other). The request is failing and retries continuously. That has to be stopped.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements