× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: For those interested: the daughter board of 628X (maybe others as well) is a 10-pin USB

tigerten
Luminary

For those interested: the daughter board of 628X (maybe others as well) is a 10-pin USB

IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: For those interested: the daughter board of 628X (maybe others as well) is a 10-pin USB

No rocket science: A standard, Industrial Grade USB Disk On Module (DOM) - as discussed earlier. 

Message 2 of 9
tigerten
Luminary

I read it somewhere it is a 9-pin. Not sure what the 10th is for. The 10-pin is not as widely available as the 9-pin ones. 

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

New to me there are USB DOMs with 9-pin ... does not make to much sense as all I'm aware of are made of 0.1" 5x2 pin headers. Fun fact, only four wires are used as it's naked USB 8-)   

Guessing a little bit more? One of the 2x5 is used as an index (pin or non-pin).

USB DOM index pin.PNG

Message 4 of 9
tigerten
Luminary

on the 9-pin model, the 9th pin, which is actually the 10th, has no function except to direct the orientation. Now th eproblem arise with full 10-pin? ho would one orient the plug in?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Ideally, here are markings on the main PCB, giving an idea which way round you need to plug the DOM.

Sometimes you find screen print markings for VBUS (USB input voltage, typically 5V) or similar - on both the embedded system PCB and the DOM indicating the Vbus or Vcc pin.

On your image in the opening post, there is a white marks indicating the pin 1 btw. on both devices (!!!)

Unless you shift the 2x5 around, you can't kill neither the USB(!) Flash DOM - either it is recognized and works, or you plugged it the wrong way round. 

For the other users, a PCB and a DOM are don't-touch-area if they don't know what they do - as written in the holy books.

For the readers going to this complete post: It's possible to convert USB Flash sticks by adding a 0.1 stepped 2x5 connector. Avoid soldering the other (unused) side pins to avoid the short circuit situation if plugged the wrong way round. And never forget there is a hot end on a soldering iron please.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

ADATA has published fine specs for common and popular USB Flash Modules: ADATA Technology Corp. USB Flash Module Specs . Borrowed from p.7:

ADATA IUM01 el specs.PNG

Note: Its always P1 which is marked on PCBs.

Message 7 of 9
tigerten
Luminary

When you look at my third photo, which is of the Readynas motherboard, there is number "10". I believe this is PIN 10. 

My 9-pin module at hand does not have a marking. but it is 9-pin which is aready marked my missing pin9. 

for th e10-pin module, I believe there should be mark for pin1. 

I wonder if the 9-pin module would work if I drill a hole in tha pin9 spot

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@tigerten wrote:

When you look at my third photo, which is of the Readynas motherboard, there is number "10". I believe this is PIN 10. 

Starting point is always #1, marked with a white square, a white dot for the connector J22. For the sake on the SMB ICs you find a black hole identifying pin #1 for example, too. Look at the PISON USB chip, or the TOSHIBA Flash chip on the DOM. Also on the 2x5, you find the white dot (for 1), and printings of 2, 9, 10.

@tigerten wrote:

My 9-pin module at hand does not have a marking. but it is 9-pin which is aready marked my missing pin9. 

Of course it has a marking, look for the white dot, which is again indicating the pin 1 from where you start counting.

Very likely, it's just a (removeable) insert covering 9. And only the contacts 1, 3, 5 and 7 are required as shown on the Adata data sheet.

Pure electronics 1-2-3 ... standard.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements