× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas ultra 4 operating system setup

Keper
Guide

Readynas ultra 4 operating system setup

Good day.

I have Readynas Ultra 4 with xpenology installed
Tell me, is it possible somehow to return the native operating system?

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Have changed booting from the internal device instead of an external USB?

Message 2 of 10
Keper
Guide

Apparently yes

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Is there a reason why you want to change back?

@Keper wrote:

Apparently yes

Then likely you can't revert.

Try this test:

• power down the NAS
  • remove all disks (labeling by slot)
  • insert a test disk (which will be formatted)
  • use the boot menu to do a factory default
  • see what OS is installed on the disk.

The factory default via the boot menu is described on pages 21-22 of the hardware manual:

Reinsert the disks with the NAS powered down.

Message 4 of 10
Keper
Guide

The server starts but does not boot. Nothing lights up on the display.

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you get the reset button menu?  This article applies except for the location  of the reset button hole: How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-Ultra-6-Plus-Pro-6-Pro-Pioneer-or-Pro-Business-... .

Message 6 of 10
Keper
Guide

After manipulating dd if=/dev/synobot.img of=/dev/sdu the old system is gone.
Is there any way to get my system back?
At the moment, having synology, I have access to ssh and can replace this download file.

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Your old system is gone.  Recovery is impossible.  That dd command overwrites an entire device with an image, including the "blank" space.  You should have done a dd to save the current image before you overwrote it, but it sounds like you may have simply following a cookbook and didn't really know what this was doing.

Someone would have to be willing to do a dd of their image and share with you, and they may be reluctant to because it includes a file (named vpd) that defines the model and serial number.  Now that ReadyCloud is dead (which relied on the serial number) and lack of other support from Netgear, maybe somebody would be willing.  But your system would be a clone if theirs unless you get the vpd changed to be right for your unit.  Previous moderators have helped other restore the vpd file, but I do not know if the current mods can or will.

Message 8 of 10
Marius_
Aspirant

Hi. I'm about to install DSM on my Readynas Ultra 6. Could you please advise how to backup my original image before overwriting it?

These are the commands that I will have to execute:

Now SSH into the NAS box and first of all unmount any USB devices:
#sudo umount /dev/sdu
First time you sudo it will ask for your password
#sudo umount /dev/sdu1
Next copy the synobot img file from /tmp to /dev
#sudo cp /tmp/synobot.img /dev
Next permanently mount the img file in the ReadyNas flash
#sudo dd if=/dev/synobot.img of=/dev/sdu

However, before doing so, I would feel much safer if I could backup an image of flash.

Thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm assuming you're booting with some DSM media and that /dev/sdu is the ReadyNAS flash.  If that's not the case, then you need to specify the environment under which you are executing these.

The dd command at the end writes a complete image to device sdu from the specified image file.  To preserve the image before hand, you need to use dd in reverse.  It would be something like this:

#sudo dd if=/dev/sdu of=/tmp/readynas.img

I'm not sure why your instructions are having you copy the image file from /tmp to /dev.  If there is a compelling reason, then you may need to create the backup image in /dev and then copy to /tmp

But I don't know if /tmp resides on the device from which you are booting or RAM, which is why I say something like.  If it's in RAM, then you still lose it on re-boot.  So after creating /tmp/readynas.img, reboot and make sure the file is still there.  If it's not, you'll need to go back to your source for these instructions and ask where you can store the image.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements