× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS308T

Torch24
Guide

GS308T

GS308T s/w 1.0.5.12  - one port connected router-on-a-stick; other ports to various clients.

It is unclear from the manual what is the order/priority of Mac-based VLANs and protocol-based VLANs.  Are there separate tables for Mac-based VLANs and protocol-based ones? I assume not; however if there are, which is looked up first?  Per the manual...

MAC-based: When untagged or priority-tagged packets arrive at the switch and entries exist in the MAC-to-VLAN table...

Protocol-based: By default, if you do not configure any port-based (IEEE 802.1Q) or protocol-based VLANs, untagged packets are assigned to VLAN 1.

This seems to imply that you can assign MAC-based VLAN (such as one not created on the switch) then add a port-based or protocol-based one.

It would be nice to have a logic diagram of the flow of a packet.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Torch24 wrote:

This seems to imply that you can assign MAC-based VLAN (such as one not created on the switch) then add a port-based or protocol-based one.

Doubt there is any kind of Generic Attribute Registration Protocol (GARP) or Generic VLAN Registration Protocol (GVRP) allowing to automatically create and define VLANs. Nothing the like in the data sheet, the user manual. Neither implicit, nor explicit.

Yes, some competitors offer this feature on certain smart switch series. however, in the price range beyond of 200 Euro/port - not in the 10 Euro per port switch class we're facing here.

Keep in mind the GS308T is not a very advanced Managed Switch, much more a Smart Managed switch. Have requested a moderator to move your thread to the appropriate Plus And Smart Switches Forum intended to discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and Remote Management models.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 9
Torch24
Guide

I don't know what either of those acronyms mean (other than looking them up :-), but I did quote from the switch manual and under MAC-based VLAN (pg.120) it also mentions This implies that you can configure a MAC address mapping to a VLAN that you did not yet create on the switch.  The documentation on an HPE switch (that I do not own) says ...the port selects a VLAN for the frame in the order of MAC-based VLAN, protocol-based VLAN, and port-based VLAN...  It would be helpful if the manual for the GS308T was as clear.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

In my reading, the VLAN is created along when adding a MAC Address and a VLAN ID in an authenticated admin session - anything else would bring a massive security issue in absence of GVRP and GARP:

MAC Based VLAN Config.PNG 

No idea if this UI would allow to define multiple MAC based VLANs for the same VLAN ID.

Well, I'm just yet another user here, and can be wrong. Yes, we have some deployed switches from a big competitor in the field, supporting GVRP and/or GARP. 8-)

Message 4 of 9
Torch24
Guide

I agree - I don't think the switch allows multiple MAC-based VLANs.

If I create a MAC-based VLAN, a Protocol-based VLAN and a Port-based, how would be a packet be tagged if it (in theory) qualifies for all three?  I suspect it would be MAC, Protocol or Port; in that order.  The switch manual is unclear, thus my request for a logic diagram.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Torch24 wrote:

... I don't think the switch allows multiple MAC-based VLANs.

Strongly doubt. Not a GS308T, but another Broadcom based MS510TXUP for example:

MAC Based VLAN Config 330-331.PNG

Message 6 of 9
Torch24
Guide

I now understand more about the various VLANs.

MAC-based VLANs allow a device (MacBookAir in my case) to connect from anywhere on the network that is connected to a port on the switch and be assigned a VLAN dynamically.  Because MAC-based VLAN assignment is a) across all ports and b) assigned before any protocol- or port-based VLAN, the packet gets a VLAN tag and is then processed in the switch bypassing any protocol- or port-based VLAN assignment. 

Message 7 of 9
ErwinL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Torch24 

Was your question answered? In this case could you give us feedback on the situation and accept the posts here as a solution to make it more visible to other users?

Thanks in advance!

Have lovely day,
Erwin
Netgear Team

Message 8 of 9
Torch24
Guide

No - my original question was not answered;  I made some assumptions based on an HPE manual. The manual for the GS308T remains as unclear as it was originally.

In the end, I did not use a MAC-based VLAN.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements