× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB1120 Bridge Mode Web interface access

gcimis
Tutor

LB1120 Bridge Mode Web interface access

Quick question - with the modem in bridge mode and the ethernet port connected to the WAN port of a router, the WAN port of the router picks up the IP address from the cellular provider as expected.  How do you access the modem's web interface in this configuration?

Message 1 of 13
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode Web interface access

The LB1120 has a local IP that can be used to access the web page when in bridge mode.

By default this address is 192.168.5.1.

You can find more info in the LB1120 user guide here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/LB1120?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#docs

Steve

Message 2 of 13
CheesePatrol
Aspirant

This doesn't work.

Message 3 of 13
vronp
Guide

Bad advice/information.  This is for router mode.

Message 4 of 13
gcimis
Tutor

In reference to the comments about doesn't work and bad advice/information.

I have this device set up in bridge mode.

I have a Static IP from AT&T cellular, and that static IP address is applied to the WAN port on my internal router.

The ethernet port on the Netgear LB1120 is connected to the WAN port on the router.

I have internet access from the LAN side of the router, so this is set up correctly.

By setting up a static route and firewall rule on the internal router, I can still access the Netgear's web console on 192.168.5.1 from inside my LAN, so this does actually work.  I just enable the settings on the router if I need to access the Netgear, otherwise those settings are off.

Message 5 of 13
vronp
Guide

Ok, that makes sense, sorry.

How are you getting around the bridge mode subnet bug?  

Message 6 of 13
gcimis
Tutor

Not sure what you mean by the bridge mode subnet bug, but if you mean what I was asking in my original question:

I have a Sophos UTM that I use for the internal router.

On the Sophos, I created a new network definition that was 192.168.5.0 mask 255.255.255.0.

I then created a static route for the  192.168.5.0 network and pointed it at the interface where the Netgear is plugged in.

I created a firewall rule that allows traffic between my internal network and the 192.168.5.0 network.

This seems to work OK for me.

I would guess you could also put a small switch between the netgear and the router, and plug a laptop into the switch after assigning it's IP to 192.168.5.2 and access it that way.  Haven't tried that.

Message 7 of 13
vronp
Guide

Here is the thread related to the bug.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/AirCard-LTE-Hotspots-Gateways/LB1120-Bridge-Mode-No-Connectivity/td...

There are not many posts and perhaps only 3 of them offer real detailed information about the issue.  I'd like to get your feeback on it please.

Sorry again for questioning your advice earlier....

Message 8 of 13
gcimis
Tutor

It seems like some of the posts are indicating that when the IP address assigned from AT&T is passed through to the router, the router is getting the wrong subnet mask, although this seems to be somewhat dependant on the router.  

If that is actually the issue, I guess I avoided this by having a static IP from AT&T and manually assigning the IP address and subnet mask on the the WAN interface on the router.  If it matters my router is a Sophos SG330, with UTM 9.4 running on it.

Sorry I can't be more help.   

Message 9 of 13
vronp
Guide

You and I posted the "solution" at the same time.  🙂  I was thinking about this and came up with that solution but see my comments about IP number changes....

This is a problem with multiple carriers.  Mine is t-mobile.

My router gets a /32 from the LB1120.  I think this is entirely a problem on the LB1120 although there are apparently routers that can handle this and correct it....

You are correct in how you avoided it for sure.... 

Message 10 of 13
milaus
Aspirant

@gcimis

how did you create that firewall rule?
I have asus router 192.168.1.1/24
LB1110 bridged 192.168.5.1/24
static route on 192.168.5.0 - 192.168.1.1

I have access to the internet and everything is working fine.
I can have access to the LB1110 configuration page from inside the lan by typing its IP address in a web browser, but I can’t reach it from the internet.
I have many firewall rules to have access to all my devices from outside the LAN (internet) but still no have access to the modem configuration page.

what can I do?
Message 11 of 13
farmware
Initiate

@CheesePatrol wrote:

This doesn't work.

If in Windows environment, us ipconfig.exe to discover IP....

Or if ib wireless environment, use Fing app

Message 12 of 13
gcimis
Tutor

My concern was accessing it from inside my network on the other side of my Sophos UTM device.  I have no need or desire to accesss the modem from outside my network.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7