× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Looking for Verizon LTE Internet + Phone Solution

jeffs95033
Tutor

Looking for Verizon LTE Internet + Phone Solution

I was looking at adding Verizon's "LTE Internet+Phone" (aka "Broadband+Voice") modem to my existing Verizon LTE plan. But it only has 3 wired LAN ports and I need to connect 6 via wired LAN. I have 2 PCs, 3 A/V components and a network drive that need to exchange video content among each other (40GB files) and/or from Internet (1GB streaming), and I want to avoid Wifi slow-down. And I want the Verizon wireless for home phone hub. Verizon tech has no info about LAN port expansion. Any recommendations?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
jeffs95033
Tutor

Re: Looking for Verizon LTE Internet + Phone Solution

Solved elsewhere...

@StephenB wrote:

What is the Verizon device model?

In general, switches will keep local traffic off the router.  All my ethernet devices are connected via switches, with one ethernet connection from the main switch to one of the router LAN ports.  When my wife is watching a movie hosted on the ReadyNAS via a wired media player, I can turn reboot the router, or even turn it off - and the playback isn't disrupted at all.  New connections do need the router to assist, but once that is done the switch(es) take over.  And of course any internet traffic has to run through the router.

If your network drive supports LACP NIC teaming, then you might consider a smart switch, so you can take advantage of that feature.  That can help performance some if multiple devices are accessing the drive.

You can of course connect the R7000 to the switch also, and use it as an AP.   

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
jeffs95033
Tutor

Re: Looking for Verizon LTE Internet + Phone Solution

Solved elsewhere...

@StephenB wrote:

What is the Verizon device model?

In general, switches will keep local traffic off the router.  All my ethernet devices are connected via switches, with one ethernet connection from the main switch to one of the router LAN ports.  When my wife is watching a movie hosted on the ReadyNAS via a wired media player, I can turn reboot the router, or even turn it off - and the playback isn't disrupted at all.  New connections do need the router to assist, but once that is done the switch(es) take over.  And of course any internet traffic has to run through the router.

If your network drive supports LACP NIC teaming, then you might consider a smart switch, so you can take advantage of that feature.  That can help performance some if multiple devices are accessing the drive.

You can of course connect the R7000 to the switch also, and use it as an AP.   

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7