× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 mobile router not connecting to Xbox live

Aarfmann
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 mobile router not connecting to Xbox live

Received a new router from Telstra and Xbox live connects, but doesn't allow an internet connection. Have followed steps as suggested by Xbox re DNS settings help with no luck. Any more suggestions from anyone with similar issue?
Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk M1 mobile router not connecting to Xbox live

Hello aarfmann 

You may need to do some port forwarding.

https://kb.netgear.com/19844/Why-does-my-Xbox-say-NAT-is-set-to-strict-or-moderate-when-I-try-to-pla...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 18
Aarfmann
Aspirant

That solution is not relevant to the M1 wireless. It is a simple 4g router with no port forwarding options.
Message 3 of 18
Aarfmann
Aspirant

Port forwarding doesn't solve the internet connection issue.  I am not having NAT issue, the modem will simply not allow by xbox to connect to the internet.

Message 4 of 18
MicW
Luminary

Can you check what IP and gatway information the xbox is receiving? I'm assuming the xbox is set as a DHCP client

Message 5 of 18
Bungarra
Aspirant

have same problem Xbox connects to modem but not internet.

Has a solution been found ?

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 6 of 18
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi  Aarfmann,

How are you connecting your Xbox one to the MR1100?  Is it via WiFi or Ethernet?  I have no issues with PS4 connecting to internet via M1.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 7 of 18
Bungarra
Aspirant

Connected by wi-fi..... there has to be a simple solution for this ... I just don't get it that Telstra & netgear sell incompatible stuff...

Message 8 of 18
MicW
Luminary

Can you provide any information , like the error xbox is giving and the ip configuration and gateway it is using? I've tested my M1 with my nephews xbox and no issue, didn't have to configure anything out of the ordinary. The only issue you may have is if you are behind a double NAT setup by your ISP, then you can still get out, but no one would be bale to connect back to you if you try running a server

Message 9 of 18
Aarfmann
Aspirant

Says my DNS server can’t resolve Xbox live server names. I have tried all of the Xbox help suggestions.
Message 10 of 18
MicW
Luminary

Have you tried setting the xbox network settings to automatic including setting the xbox DNS to automatic (under advanced settings)and also DHCP client.

In the modem under settings > router setup >DNS mode set to manual if you don't want to use Telstra DNS, and  DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and under alternate DNS server 8.8.4.4 (these are googles DNS server addresses).

If you are getting NAT errors after that it is because Telstra use consumer grade NAT on mobile connections and not much you can do about it unless you have a business grade connection that provides a public IP.

Message 11 of 18
Aarfmann
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I have tried that previously. It works with a wired connection - will just have to stick with that. PS4 works perfectly wirelessly though.
Message 12 of 18
MicW
Luminary

If it is only happening with the Wifi on the xbox. Then there is no need to make any changes to the modem. I'd delete the xbox wifi connection it currently uses to connect to the M1 and recreate it, make sure to set the xbox to DHCP client and everything to automatic. Also keep in mind that the M1 will turn off its wifi after a few minutes by default , so may be a issue for the xbox. That would mean it works initially though then stopped working.

Message 13 of 18
Bungarra
Aspirant

If the wifi turns off by default after a few minutes how do you change that ?

Message 14 of 18
MicW
Luminary

Log into the M1 : dashboard > settings > wireless > Global wireless settings > wifi standby = disabled. Or to timing interval you prefer . This will stop the wifi turning off when idle. I run my M1 from the power adapter so its not a issue for the battery
Message 15 of 18
Bungarra
Aspirant

Thanks I'll give it a go

Message 16 of 18
javrude
Aspirant

Has anyone else come up with a resolution for this? IPhone hotspot lets the xbox one connect to Live and work, this nighthawk will not. Nothing complicated going on, and works with all other devices and will connect to the xbox, just will not let it go to Live
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 17 of 18
Bungarra
Aspirant

No...... no answers.... Netgear does not care..... this is an ongoing thing with the M1.... time to go to another modem me thinks... the older ones were fine...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7