Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware version1.8.3.1_13001

Up until a few days ago, all videos were 15 seconds in length. Now, videos range from 1 second to 3 seconds (majority are 1), I get email notifications of motion yet the video is not in my library and when I go to "LIVE", I see a very brief image and then get the message "The connection to the media server has timed out". To complicate matters, the camera is located in another country.

Any ideas? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AMorneau,

What firmware is on your camera? Check to make sure it is the latest: Firmware Release Notes

This could also indicate an issue with the cameras connection the router. How far is the camera from your router? What does the signal strength indicator show?

JamesC

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware is 1.8.3.1_13001

The camera is about 6 inches from the router. I am getting very small videos (duration range from 1 to 3 seconds) and when I go "Live", I see an image for one second and then get a message "The connection to the media server has timed out.". Again, I am getting notifications and email along with library of videos but nothing of value.

Andre

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AMorneau,

You might consider rebooting the camera. This can be done remotely by logging in to your account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Restart.

JamesC

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. Unfortunately that did not work.

AM
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AMorneau,

Do you have someone physically at the location that could troubleshoot? You might consider factory resetting the device and adding it back to your account to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

jeffjeffwong
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem. Tried resetting everything, used a different router, updating the firmware etc. Watching the camera live never lasted for more than a minute. Then the video freezes and it says "connection to media server has timed out" on both ios app and web browser.

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had an ongoing case with Netgear for some time and tried everything. I think I may have had almost 10 different technicians correspond with me. At this stage, they are suggesting I change the equipment. Netgear cannot explain why but have no other solutions.  "At this point, since a factory reset has been done and you are still having the same error message. The next action is to replace the camera. This is most likely a hardware problem and this is not a normal behavior of the camera. Please let us know if you need further assistance regarding the RMA process." I am not impressed. I have installed a Nest Cam and am having far better success.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

So, it was determined that you had a faulty camera and you refused to get it replaced? Must be nice to just lose money.

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

A) No one "determined" it was a faulty camera. B) The camera is in a location where the shipping and return would have cost more than the camera. So, when faced with replacing the camera and possibly have the same problem or switch to another brand, I choose the most intelligent and value added solution. My issue is the error message is not yet resolved by Netgear (and now yours for that matter). At some point Netgear would rather swap than find the problem. Good luck!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A) I quote:

"At this point, since a factory reset has been done and you are still having the same error message. The next action is to replace the camera. This is most likely a hardware problem and this is not a normal behavior of the camera. Please let us know if you need further assistance regarding the RMA process."

Yes, it was determined to be a hardware issue.

b) It's certainly not my issue - I'm a user like you used to be. Your choice to position the camera someplace where it is cost-prohibitive to replace (sounds like you put it in a different country) was your choice in the first place, without regard to possible warranty issues. 

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your feedback and do have a good day.

jeffjeffwong
Initiate
Initiate

So I guess this problem has not been addressed by Netgear yet. No fix, No solution, except replacement if it is under warranty? Nonetheless, I doubt replacement would fix the problem as it seems to be a server / firmware issue. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll never know unless you try.

AMorneau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Truer words have never been spoken.

To answer the question, the "fix" according to Netgear is replacement. The warranty is really academic as it addresses at whose cost. My experience is I have seen recordings (they are sporadic and inconsistent) and can, like you, at times get a live view only to get the error message "Connection to media server has timed out". I am going to, as jgeurdat pointed out, try and see what happens as this is the solution recommended by Netgear. Regards.