Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 will not reset

blamman
Apprentice

RBK53 will not reset

My router and satellites are having intermittent issues. Some devices will not attach to the router or connect then after a few minutes disconnect.

In the past I have been able to hard reset and and wipe the config and reset and all has been good. I have held the reset button down for 15 seconds and also tried to wipe the config in the gui but the config will not reset. Any help would be appreciated.

Tyler

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the RBR and RBS all using same version of FW? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Even disconnecting the RBR from the ISP Modem and then pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release and use a wired PC to connect to the RBR, do you get the setup wizard to start? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before going to the RBRs web page. 

Message 2 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

Hi,

Thank you for the help.

The router and satellites are running V2.7.2.104. I have removed the ethernet backhual and it has gotten better. I believe I may still be getting some wifi drops.

I am connected to xfinity with a sb6141.

Phones and tablets seem to be worse with drops than firesticks.

I have tried numerous times to reset and get the wizard to start but it will not. Sorry for late reply as I have not been home much today

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Even disconnecting the RBR from the ISP Modem and then pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release or try selecting the ERASE button on the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab/Administration/Backup and use a wired PC to connect to the RBR, do you get the setup wizard to start? 

Try a different browser, IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera...
Be sure to clear out all browser caches before going to the RBRs web page. 

Message 4 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

My house is around 3500 square feet but all orbi's are downstairs so that is 2000 or so square feet.

Yes each orbi is over 20 feet from the router. IT has been like this for 2 years.

I have tried hard reset for 15 seconds numerous times and reset in the gui but nothing changes. 

My routers ip is not default and that never changes.

Thanks

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Even disconnecting the RBR from the ISP Modem and then pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release or try selecting the ERASE button on the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab/Administration/Backup and use a wired PC to connect to the RBR, do you get the setup wizard to start?

Message 6 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

I have disconnected frommodem during the resets but never get the setup wizarrd.

It loooks like the devices stay connected to the wifi and some devices can still reach internet but some cannot.

I had something like this before and you had me reset router and reinstall firmware.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try that again, Use a wired Pc and if you have access to the RBRs web page and FW update section, re-load or maybe downgrade FW to v16. Then try the ERASE button in the admin/backup menu after FW is reloaded. Watch the top ring LED, it should start to blink then slowly pulsate, you should see a ORBI#### as the SSID wifi name being broadcast instead of your custom name. 

Or try this: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Message 8 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

I have tried to reinstall fmrware thru gui. Old and existing version and then erase config and it stays the same. 

I then reset for 30 seconds an tried to tftp firmware but it returns " Connect request failed"

I also tried the kb you posted but same error.

Thank you

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well seems like you have done everything to get it to reset and it's not. I'd make contact with NG support and see what your options are. Seems like the RBR is faulty and needs replacing. 

Message 10 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

Thank you for all the help once again.

I ordered a renewed RBK50 from amazon today- grrrh.  Guess I will have 4 satellites now.

Message 11 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

I jsut found an rbr50v2 on ebay. I assume it will work with my rbr50 satellites as they are rbs50's.

Thank you

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes they should. 

Message 13 of 15
blamman
Apprentice

Great.

Message 14 of 15