Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000 basestation USB stick will not record

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have formated the USB stick and it showes it is ready but my cameras showes zero recordings. What do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

Yes it will live stream, and yes I was able to make a recording manually. And yes I have powered down a couple of times. What would be the chance the thumb drive is bad? It is new from Amazon.

The thumb drive has nothing to do with the recordings you are seeing in the app and my.arlo.com.  They are stored in the Arlo Cloud; they are NOT being retrieved from the thumb drive.

Have you double-checked that the cameras are armed?

Have you tried the motion detection test?

Also, did you power cycle both the cameras and the hub?  Or just the hub?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

I have formated the USB stick and it showes it is ready but my cameras showes zero recordings. What do I need to do?

Did you eject the USB stick from the app and connect it to a PC?

The VMB4000 supports local recording, but it does not support playback.  The only way to see access the recordings is to connect the USB storage to a PC.

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I checked and all it has on it is a folder named Arlo and it is empty.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

Yes I checked and all it has on it is a folder named Arlo and it is empty.

How big is the USB drive?

How was it formatted?

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

256GB 3.1 flash thumb drive and it was formated by the basestation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

256GB 3.1 flash thumb drive and it was formated by the basestation.

That should be working ok.

What cameras do you have?

Are you getting cloud recordings?

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

The cameras are Arlo Pro model 4030 and I dont know how to see the cloud.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

The cameras are Arlo Pro model 4030 and I dont know how to see the cloud.

All the recordings you see in the Library (or Feed in the new interface) are stored in the Arlo Cloud.

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no recordings in the library and there is no new interface or feed I am told by arlo my cameras are garbage. There term is, end of life and offer no solutions.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

There is no recordings in the library 

Can you livestream the cameras?

If you can, let us know if you can make a manual recording while livestreaming.

Did you try restarting the base by turning off power and turning it back on again?

@Arlowill wrote:

I am told by arlo my cameras are garbage. Their term is, end of life 

They are end-of-life, but not "garbage".  You should still be getting recordings.

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it will live stream, and yes I was able to make a recording manually. And yes I have powered down a couple of times. What would be the chance the thumb drive is bad? It is new from Amazon.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

The thumb drive has nothing to do with the recordings you are seeing in the app and my.arlo.com.  They are stored in the Arlo Cloud; they are NOT being retrieved from the thumb drive.

Have you double-checked that the cameras are armed?

Have you tried the motion detection test?

Also, did you power cycle both the cameras and the hub?  Or just the hub?

Arlowill
Aspirant
Aspirant

The cameras was on but not armed. That was the problem as to why they was not recording. Thanks for your help with this. I thought that if the cameras was on they should record. Sooo is the thumb drive going to record all videos until it is full. And if I delete a recording from a camera by my tablet or phone will it still be saved on the thumb drive until I eject it and delete it with my laptop? And thanks again for every body's help with getting my cameras recording again.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlowill wrote:

Sooo is the thumb drive going to record all videos until it is full. 

There is a setting you can use to tell the base to delete the oldest recordings.  That doesn't depend on the date, it just depends on how full the drive is. 

@Arlowill wrote:

And if I delete a recording from a camera by my tablet or phone will it still be saved on the thumb drive 

Yes.  Local recordings can't be deleted from the app.  Also, if you use activity zones on battery power you'll find that out-of-zone recordings are also saved on the thumb drive.