I think I'm missing something - WC7600v2

TrainmanJohnson
Aspirant

I think I'm missing something - WC7600v2

Hey all... I think I missed something in my research before I purchased the WC7600v2 and AC730s. I have an established network in my institution with a registered set of IPs, DNS, etc. I was under the impression that these Netgear components would provide everything I needed to add full wireless coverage throughout my building. I know the WC7600v2 manages the APs, of course, but I thought it also acted like a router. Once APs were setup and connected, wireless devices connected and inturn, received an IP number from the WC7600's internal DHCP server... or is the internal DHCP ONLY for APs? What am missing here? Do I need an additional router? Do I need a stand alone DHCP? Oh, and I'll continue to be naive IT guy here and ask the question, where does one actually PURCHASE additional AP licences?? That info is like a well guarded secret  ;D

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Re: I think I'm missing something - WC7600v2

HI,

Here is the answers for your query:

I know the WC7600v2 manages the APs, of course, but I thought it also acted like a router.

No, controller is a L2 device, it cannot act as a router it only manages APs

Once APs were setup and connected, wireless devices connected and inturn, received an IP number from the WC7600's internal DHCP server... or is the internal DHCP ONLY for APs?

Internal DHCP server in the controller able to assign IP to whole LAN i.e., client devices connecting the APs also will get the IP from controller.

Do I need an additional router?

Yes, you need an additional router to route between WAN and LAN.

Do I need a stand alone DHCP?

Not required, controller is capable enough to assign IPs to your entire LAN network.

Message 2 of 11
TrainmanJohnson
Aspirant

Hey! Thank you for your reply! My entire network along with the 7600v2 and APs are connected through two managed switches. Those switches are connected via fibre to our main campus (I'm in a university setting) and then out to the world. The 7600 has a hard connection to the LAN with it's own IP number, subnet mask, dns, etc. I can get it to see the APs and devices can see the wireless network through the APs, but cannot obtain an IP number. At that point, as you said, the 7600 should assign IP numbers to wireless devices correct? If it is, maybe I have the internal hdcp server setup wrong. What do you think?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Message 4 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Message 5 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Message 6 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Please refer the attachments i have posted earlier and can you make sure you configure the VLANs on all those pages configured properly.

1) When configuring profiles, VLAN field has to be filled carefully.

2) Have attached three screenshots, dhcp_server.gif when you configure internal dhcp server you have to mention the VLAN id for which you have to assign the dhcp pool.

3) AP.gif in AP UI, you can see the Untagged VLAN, that field has to be filled with the appropriate VLAN(default it should have management VLAN i.e., 1).

4) Profile.gif when configuring profile VLAN field has to be filled with the VLAN id for which you are running DHCP server(default it should have management VLAN i.e., 1).

If above setups are not helping for you please provide Team Viewer access to debug.

Message 7 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

I just want to follow up on this case. Were you able to follow the steps we have suggested?. Is the issue resolved?. Please feel free to reach out to us for any help.

Message 8 of 11
TrainmanJohnson
Aspirant

Hey! I'm sorry for my delayed response. Thank you for your previous posts. I carefully checked all the VLAN settings and everything is set to VLAN 1. The controller and AP are connected and the wireless device can connect to the AP but still cannot obtain an IP number from the controller. And if it helps, the controller will not assign the AP an IP when the AP is set to dhcp. I have to manually set the AP to one of my network IPs. Not sure what exactly why...

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Looks like something very basic is missing and we are unable to get it through our message communication. It will be great if you can provide us the remote access, we can identify the issue and fix it quickly. Can you provide the remote access through TeamViewer?

Message 10 of 11
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

I would like to follow up on this case, if the issue is not resolved yet, will you be able to provide us the remote access?.

thanks,

laxman.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements