× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: NETGEAR Wifi router with Bridge Mode Support

shubhadeepb
Tutor

NETGEAR Wifi router with Bridge Mode Support

In our office, we are using DSL broadband for Internet. We have a ADSL modem (provided by the Internet Provider), where the input DSL connects. Then we connect the output of the ADSL modem with a NETGEAR FVS114 Firewall. And the ouput from the firewall goes into a NETGEAR 24 Port network switch. The Internet configuration (like DNS, IP etc.) is done in the FVS114 firewall.

Now we want to add a wireless router in out network. The router must be able to work as a bridge router as we are planning to connect the router directly to one of the outputs of FVS114. Can you suggest any router suitable for this job? We can restructure of our existing network also if you suggest.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi shubhadeepb,

The FVS114 does not support VLAN and I believe the 24-port switch is just using the default VLAN in the diagram you posted.  Regarding this, the laptop that is wirelessly connected to the WAC730 and the network printer are both in the same network and they will have connectivity to each other. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi shubhadeepb,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

For me, its more applicable to use an access point than a wireless router.  If you will connect a wireless router to the FVS114, that will result into a Double NAT scenario.  I suggest the diagram below:

I recommend the WAC730 access point.  It supports Wireless Distribution System (WDS) in which you may set it up either point-to-point or point-to-multipoint wireless bridging.  Check the WAC730 data sheet here for more details.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi shubhadeepb,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  

If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
shubhadeepb
Tutor

DaneA, Thanks for your response. This community is really great. 🙂

I have only one confusion. Let's consider the following diagram,

diagram.jpg

I want to access the Network Printer (connected with the 24 Port Switch) from the Laptop (connected to the WAC730). WIll it be possible in your mentioned scenario? 

Message 4 of 9
shubhadeepb
Tutor

Hi DaneA, 

Aplogy for replying late. I have one more query, asked as the reply of your solution. 

Thanks a lot for your support. 

Message 5 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi shubhadeepb,

The FVS114 does not support VLAN and I believe the 24-port switch is just using the default VLAN in the diagram you posted.  Regarding this, the laptop that is wirelessly connected to the WAC730 and the network printer are both in the same network and they will have connectivity to each other. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
shubhadeepb
Tutor

Thank you! I have accepted your answer as the solution  🙂

Message 7 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi shubhadeepb,

You're welcome! 🙂   Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Please remember to mount the Access point in a way that gives best coverage for the area,

WAC730 is designed for wall mount or ceiling mount, but you can put it on desk also. the radition patterm will be facing the white dome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjvN_GKXlZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8vMe1BCoc

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements