× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Netgear WAX630E and Netgear MS108EUP multi gig - still slow wifi speeds - help!!

dfunkt
Aspirant

Netgear WAX630E and Netgear MS108EUP multi gig - still slow wifi speeds - help!!

My setup

House included Araknis 500 and 200 series AP and switch combo with about 350ish up/down speed

Internet:

AT&T lightspeed fiber connection at

Current Speed (Mbps)Current Duplex

full

New gear to possibly replace the house provided Araknis switch/AP combo for better management and hopefully gain that extra band and better speed performance.

New Gear:

Recently bought Netgear WAX630E and Netgear MS108EUP multi gig switch (full duplex setup at 2.5) that I directly connected to the AT&T provided Modem/Router

ManufacturerModel Number

NOKIA

BGW320-505

After said and done and connected, I did a speed test right near the AP and was getting about 400 up/down.

I initially had one VLAN management setup(which I think was a default?).  I added a few more VLANS to test and some are slower but the most I got was with the initial management VLAN of 400 up/down.  

Config of 1st SSID on VLAN 1:

WPA3/SPA2 personal

Optional 802.11w (PMF)

Selected 2.4, 5, 6 bands

Band Steering - disabled

Addressing traffic - bridge

Wireless client isolation - disabled

DHCP Offer Broadcast to Unicast - Enabled

Rate Selection on all bands - auto

So what am I doing wrong?  What settings should I tweak?  I know from the router, I get about 1.3 gigs up and down. So why so slow on a full duplex?

Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear WAX630E and Netgear MS108EUP multi gig - still slow wifi speeds - help!!

Your ATT provided Modem/Router does support MultiGig on the blue 5 GbE port, so a full 2.5 GbE is reached from your WAX630E through the MS108EUP.

No odd Mesh configured on these WAX? Usual reasons for non-usual WiFi performance is in the channel layout and availability, not fully open max bandwidth, overlapping wireless equipment (interferences). 

Message 2 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

Re: Netgear WAX630E and Netgear MS108EUP multi gig - still slow wifi speeds - help!!

@schumaku 

As far as the AT&T provide modem/router, yes, the 5G ethernet is enabled as you can see below.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 4.22.13 PM.png

Also, the MS108EUP is plugged into that port as shown with the picture and with the 68 active devices showing up in the interface picture.

IMG_4213.jpg

And this is the picture of the Netgear Insight app for the mesh portion, which doesn't show anything since I don't have any non-root or extender devices.

IMG_4214.jpg  

But certainly thanks @schumaku for the checkpoint ideas.  Anything else I might be missing?

Message 3 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

Also, as you can see, I am in front of my WAX630E with my iPad Pro getting Speedtest.net results just a couple of minutes ago.

Netgear Speedtest 1 - Reduced.jpg

And this is the back of the WAX630E WAP with the cat6 regular cable attached to the 2.5gb POE port which is attached to the MS108EUP 2.5gb POE++ port 1.

Netgear Back of WAX630 Reduced.jpg

Message 4 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

I was also having problem upgrading the switch firmware but I was finally able to update the firmware after several tries thinking that it would help but it hasn't yet.

I have also hooked up 2 different APs to the MS108EUP switch, my original Araknet AP and the  Netgear WAX6300EP and both are giving me roughly the same speeds, roughly around 380mbps down/up.

So is it the this brand new MS108EUP switch or its settings?

Message 5 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

I called NETGEAR Support and they said that whatever the speed of my internet is, cut it in half, which is why I was getting about 400 up/down.  That sounds correct with half duplex, but I am running on a full duplex at 5G on port 1 as shown below.  Still around 400ish up/down.   I could never even get past 500 on an internet speed test where I am getting roughly around 1.3G up/down.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 9.50.43 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-08 at 9.50.53 PM.png

IMG_4268.jpg

And as you can see, Port 1 is showing at 2.5G, which is still way above my internet speed so the modem/router port 1 is fine!  Support even asked me to connect the WAX630EP AP directly to this port, which I did but still same result.  That is I bypassed the switch.  Strange that the Netgear AP and router doesn't seem to bring value to my effort since my current home setup with the Araknis switch and AP already gives me roughly the same speed.  So why even keep these Netgear equipment if it doesn't bring speed or value to me??  Does anybody have any thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 9.40.49 PM.png

Message 6 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Time to work on the AP configuration there.

Here what a random 802.11ax client can do on a similar Netgear 802.11ax AP connected through a MS108EUP can reach easily on a HTML5 browser based test - 5 GHz band 2.402 Mbps physical link rate on 160 MHz bandwidh (file name is wrong - it's an AX link)::

Intel on 802.11ac.PNG

Protokoll: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Sicherheitstyp: WPA3-Personal
Netzfrequenzbereich: 5 GHz
Netzwerkkanal: 40
Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit (Empfang/Übertragung): 2402/2402 (Mbps)
Hersteller: Intel Corporation
Beschreibung: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Treiberversion: 22.200.2.1
Physische Adresse (MAC): 34-CF-F6-E5-CD-47

Yes, measurement using is done by https://openspeedtest.com/?ref=Offline-Outro&Auto=5 on the LAN to a QNAP TVS-675 with a LAG connecting two 2.5 GbE links for experimentation - same numbers with just one physical link..

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

What are the channel width settings on both your WAX630E for 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands? Example taken from a live WAX625 device.

WAX Wireless Basic Channel Width 5 GHz.PNG

Message 8 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

The settings was 40 for 5GHz and Auto on 6Ghz

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@dfunkt wrote:

The settings was 40 for 5GHz and Auto on 6Ghz

Throughput is a direct factor to bandwidth available.

Allow the AP to use for 5 GHz at least 80 MHz, better 160 MHz (80 + 80 MHz).

Needless to say, you need some planning for the channels settings, to avoid channel overlapping and interferences, 

Message 10 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

I've setup both 5Ghz and 6Ghz to 160Mhz.

Here are my improved results.  Still under the 1.3up/down speeds but getting closer.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 11.28.08 PM.png

Message 11 of 12
dfunkt
Aspirant

@schumaku - any other thoughts or settings that I can make to streamline this even further?  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements