× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Occasional wireless traffic hang

schumaku
Guru

No idea what is (or was) causing these high sirq - an idea was that it's coming from an enabled WMA.

Message 26 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

Sorry, what is WMA?

Message 27 of 37
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, typo - should be WMM.

Message 28 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

Update:  I have 3 WAP730 devices in ensemble mode.  I am doing hourly monitoring and went a few months with no problems.  However, recently I have seen 50% SIRQ on one of these devices about once every two weeks.  It is corrected only by rebooting.  I am still runnning firmware 3.9.0.3.

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 29 of 37
schumaku
Guru

@bmomjian wrote:

However, recently I have seen 50% SIRQ on one of these devices about once every two weeks.  It is corrected only by rebooting.  I am still runnning firmware 3.9.0.3.

The perfect performance killer, one core does run up to 100% SIRQ load, wireless issues predictable (kind of a DoS). The version 3.9.0.15 (received for testing the SIRQ issue on our standalone WAC730 from @RaghuHR ) has fixed the issue here.

And hey, most likley the SIRQ issue was caused to WMM - so guess why I had asked above!

WAC730-1# uptime
10:27:37 up 6 days, 19:03, load average: 3.15, 3.07, 3.05
WAC730-1# top
Mem: 87300K used, 167836K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 29120K cached
CPU: 0% usr 0% sys 0% nic 100% idle 0% io 0% irq 0% sirq
Load average: 3.11 3.06 3.06 1/73 16204

Holidays here today, thus mostly idle.

Message 30 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

Where are we on the firmware update to fix this?  I still see 3.9.0.3 as the current firmware, which we know has this bug.  After a period of no CPU sirq problems, I had two in the past seven days.

Message 31 of 37
schumaku
Guru

Ranom luck, or had WMM disabled? We're operating a test build since March as mentioned before - no more high SIRQ load since. @RaghuHR should be able to help ...

Message 32 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

I still running the publically released firmware so I could know how often the problem occurs, since I have monitoring to report it to me.  I thought the public release should have happened already, since it has been six months, but if it is much longer until the official release, I will install the beta firmware and continue testing that.

Message 33 of 37
schumaku
Guru

Amazing slow lifecycle update, indeed. That's why I wanted @RaghuHR  in the thread again...

Message 34 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

Yes, with a known bug like this that silently slows down the device, I would like to see this distributed publically soon.

Message 35 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

I have installed the beta firmware on my three devices and will continue monitoring them for high sirq values.  I don't think I am doing anything unusual with these devices so I am still concerned that a high percentage of users are silently affected by the slowdown. 

The delay in releasing this firmware undermines my confidence in NetGear devices because it indicates the company is not sufficiently concerned about getting fixes distributed.  What other NetGear devices have problems I don't know about?

Message 36 of 37
bmomjian
Guide

I am happy to report that firmware 3.9.1.0 has been released, and I think it fixes the problem reported in this thread.  The release notes document is dated August 13, 2019, mention these two fixes:

1. Addressed intermittent, rarely encountered access point hang issues.
    2. Fixed various stability and connectivity issues.

I think this closes the issue.  I will keep my monitoring in place for another year to verify the fix.  Thanks to all who helped.

Message 37 of 37
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements