× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Repeater in any hotel room

regedit
Aspirant

Repeater in any hotel room

Is there a NetGear Wi-Fi amplifier/repeater that can be used in any hotel room when the Wi-Fi signal is poor?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@regedit wrote:

As a hotel customer, sometimes the wi-fi signal in a hotel room is too weak for the internet to work properly. So I am looking for a movable device that can amplify the wi-fi signal. The problem that I see is that, in a hotel, there is always an interface requesting, for example, the hotel room number and name of guest. There are other  possibilities where you have first to go to an internet page and accepte the conditions of a provider.

Typical product class are the so called travel routers, like the Netgear PR2000 - I don't know if it's still available in the market. 

Technically, you need a NAT router with the possibility to use a wireless for the Internet side.

Essentially the first device accessing the network will have to provide the access, the MAC address seen on the hotel wireless will be the one from the router, but this doesn't matter.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi regedit,

Welcome to our community!

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR! May I know if you are looking for something that needs to be movable or just sitting in one location? We do have WiFi Range Extenders that you can easily move to other rooms as long as it is reached by the router's signal and we have Access Points for Business that you can just set it up along the hallway for seamless wireless connection.

Just let me know if you have questions.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
regedit
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer. I need to be more precise. As a hotel customer, sometimes the wi-fi signal in a hotel room is too weak for the internet to work properly. So I am looking for a movable device that can amplify the wi-fi signal. The problem that I see is that, in a hotel, there is always an interface requesting, for example, the hotel room number and name of guest. There are other  possibilities where you have first to go to an internet page and accepte the conditions of a provider. I am not sure that a repeater will be able to handle that interface.

Regedit

NB: Sorry for the late reply, but I am traveling in the US.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@regedit,

I see. In that case, captive portal or the interface request that you were saying is not possible as the repeaters or range extenders doesn't support it and it is not compatible with our business devices. It is only recommended to use with our home devices.

Most businesses, they are using a wireless controller and setup multiple access points inside the building in order for them to have a wide range of wireless connectivity and seamless connection. I suggest, we setup multiple access points on the hallway which is enough to cover all the rooms per floor.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@regedit wrote:

As a hotel customer, sometimes the wi-fi signal in a hotel room is too weak for the internet to work properly. So I am looking for a movable device that can amplify the wi-fi signal. The problem that I see is that, in a hotel, there is always an interface requesting, for example, the hotel room number and name of guest. There are other  possibilities where you have first to go to an internet page and accepte the conditions of a provider.

Typical product class are the so called travel routers, like the Netgear PR2000 - I don't know if it's still available in the market. 

Technically, you need a NAT router with the possibility to use a wireless for the Internet side.

Essentially the first device accessing the network will have to provide the access, the MAC address seen on the hotel wireless will be the one from the router, but this doesn't matter.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements