× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC104 - unable to connect to it to set security

andcolflu
Aspirant

WAC104 - unable to connect to it to set security

Hi.

I have just bought one of these.

I have connected it via ethernet  to my BT Homehub5 so it works as a wireless access point across the house but I can't access the WAC to set security so it is currently running with Open security. I have followed the instructions by connecting it to a computer and inputting the 192 address but it won't connect.

Any ideas please??

Thanks

Andy

Model: WAB102|802.11a+b Dual Band Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC104 - unable to connect to it to set security

Hello Andy,

Congratulations on buying WAC104. It is  great value based Access point.

Did you configure static IP address on your laptop to be in the same network.

since AP will be @ 192.168.0.100, maybe you can assign your laptop as 192.168.0.101

Can you share your network diagram in brief ? or confirm if your setup is similar to one of below ?

Setup configuration :

Option 1) WAC104 ====One of 4 LAN ports======Laptop ethernetport (192.168.0.101 statically configured)

Option 2) WAC104 ===assoicate to open WIFI SSID ===Laptop (192.168.0.101 statically confifured to wifi interface on laptop)

or  put the 104 in your full network.

modem/ISP gateway ====Router=====WAC104 ~~~~~~Laptop

(this is shown better @ http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC104/WAC104_IG_EN.pdf

Gateway/Router can be one device and works has DHCP server for the network. gives out IP address to laptop.

WAC104 is an Access point and not a router. So there is no NAT/DHCP server enabled on it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Hello Andy,

Congratulations on buying WAC104. It is  great value based Access point.

Did you configure static IP address on your laptop to be in the same network.

since AP will be @ 192.168.0.100, maybe you can assign your laptop as 192.168.0.101

Can you share your network diagram in brief ? or confirm if your setup is similar to one of below ?

Setup configuration :

Option 1) WAC104 ====One of 4 LAN ports======Laptop ethernetport (192.168.0.101 statically configured)

Option 2) WAC104 ===assoicate to open WIFI SSID ===Laptop (192.168.0.101 statically confifured to wifi interface on laptop)

or  put the 104 in your full network.

modem/ISP gateway ====Router=====WAC104 ~~~~~~Laptop

(this is shown better @ http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC104/WAC104_IG_EN.pdf

Gateway/Router can be one device and works has DHCP server for the network. gives out IP address to laptop.

WAC104 is an Access point and not a router. So there is no NAT/DHCP server enabled on it.

Message 2 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Andy,

Just to followup on this. Are there any further questions?

Thanks

Raghu

Message 3 of 9
andcolflu
Aspirant

Thank you. All sorted. Nice and easy with some simple instructions
Message 4 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi andcolflu, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 9
ecatax
Aspirant

The same problem here. Tried changing the IP address but still can't connect to the access point. My netgear is open and unsecured
Message 6 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ecatax What is your issue? Can you please exactly describe here? Do you know the firmware running on the AP?
Message 7 of 9
Russ_Pilling
Aspirant

I'm having same problem with IP address. The WAC104 is connected with the provided cable to a Linksys E4200 router.  The device map for the router does not find the WAC104.  In going through the device map I find no IP address conflicts with the WAC104 192.168.0.100 address.  The WAC 104 broadcasts a SSID and connects to the internet.  Windows network finds the WAC104 but says it is not responding.  Netgear Genie is no help because it keeps looping on a password request.  Please give me some answers or I'll return the WAC104 to the vendor I purchased it from.

Message 8 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Russ_Pilling,

It seems that this thread is too old already. Please create a new post for this issue.

Thank you!

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements