× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX220 - Access Point as Central Unit in All-Wireless Network

frenchfry66
Follower

WAX220 - Access Point as Central Unit in All-Wireless Network

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a WAX220 AP to set up a lab with many devices. I don't need an Internet or an Ethernet connection to a router, I just want a local private all-wireles network for many devices. Is this possible
I've read the manual and it looks like after powering on (with an adapter) one could first connect to the Managed Wifi to setup the AP - changing the password, creating the first User Wifi, setting up the DHCP range - and then simply connecting my lab devices to the new User Wifi, assuming DHCP works for them.

What do you think?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX220 - Access Point as Central Unit in All-Wireless Network

Keep in mind the Guest network with its basic DHCP capability is an "in-box" NATed guest network, there is no transparent L2 bridge connection between the wireless guest network and the wireless clients. I guess operating the WAX220 with a static IP might be feasible. The complete guest network which logically and physically exists in the WAX220 only. Tend to suggest using the plain AP mode, and include a device serving DHCP for the physical network for a minimalist test lab.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements