× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX625 NAT handing out /22 subnet but want /24

jeffhartman
Aspirant

WAX625 NAT handing out /22 subnet but want /24

I'm setting up a WAX625 AP and when I go to setup a NAT network so the AP can create a network it creates the network as a /22 subnet and does not give me an option to change it. I would like to set this up as a /24 subnet. Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

NAT: WiFi clients receive their IP addresses from a private DHCP address pool
on the access point. If you select this mode, by default, the WLAN network address
is 172.31.0.0. This means that WiFi clients are assigned an IP address in the range
from 172.31.0.2 to 172.31.3.254. The IP address of the default DNS server for
the WLAN is 8.8.8.8.

According to my observations, this private IP subnet is not accessible or reachable from any other networks.

Does this cause a practical issue for your use case?

Message 2 of 4
jeffhartman
Aspirant

For the NAT, even if I change to a Class C 192.168.20.0 network address, I am still given a /22 subnet without the ability to change it.

My use case may be hampered by more than the /22 subnet handed out I admit. My goal would be to have the WAX625 create a multiple SSID's on seperate vlans in a wireless network with DHCP on one or more of the SSID's. I would want traffic to move freely between the wired network and the wireless network.  This is for instances when I want to create a small network island with an existing layer 2 switch and an access point to allow a ipad etc to be able to talk to the wired devices and not have to have a router since these vlans don't talk to the internet or need inter-vlan routing. I have already set this up with a different manufacturer's ap, however that particular ap is too slow in handing out DHCP addresses so that some of the equipment times out and self assigns themselves.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The NATed SSID network does never exceed or expand the network in any aspect. It is a many2one subnet NAT, local to one wireless access point only.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements