× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630 multiple SSID same VLAN?

sandinak
Aspirant

WAX630 multiple SSID same VLAN?

So I am using this device in a mixed space, home and business.  I have a bunck of Meross Homekit home automation type devices that all want to be on 2.4Ghz. And when configuring these .. the associated mobile device MUST be on 2.4 Ghz as well .. however I really don't want to leave my shared network neutered to 2.4 for these devices. 

I have a WAX218 set aside for this need, however with my new gear; id' really like to use the mesh/insight managed devices for this purpose; so I went and setup an 'AUTO' SSID that was on the same vlan (20) as the rest of the devices; however it didnt' seem to route.  I know quite a bit about linux/openwrt and so was surprised the tools let me actually create this configuration .. I am hoping it was smart enough to add the AUTO wireless interface to the same bridge on the back end .. but not sure it did; and wasn't able to route.   Has anyone else tried this configuration and had it work successfully?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX630 multiple SSID same VLAN?

@sandinak wrote:

... And when configuring these .. the associated mobile device MUST be on 2.4 Ghz as well .. however

Blunt nonsense, explained a hundred times at least before. There is NO technical reason for this. Complain to the maker of this IoJ to remove this idiotic restriction.

@sandinak wrote:

... with my new gear; id' really like to use the mesh/insight managed devices for this purpose; so I went and setup an 'AUTO' SSID that was on the same vlan (20) as the rest of the devices; however it didnt' seem to route.  I know quite a bit about linux/openwrt and so was surprised the tools let me actually create this configuration ..

Perfect valid config, you can create multiple SSID with different security settings and also just select radio and assign these to the very same VLAN. Same on all WAC5xx, all WAX6xx, same on OpenWRT, same on Netgear Insight management. And I'm tempted to state also on the WAX21x.

And no: There is no routing involved. Pure L2 bridging.

Curious: What do you designate as an AUTO SSID?

Message 2 of 4
sandinak
Aspirant

Blunt nonsense, explained a hundred times at least before. There is NO technical reason for this. Complain to the maker of this IoJ to remove this idiotic restriction.

Agreed .. there shouldn't be.  I can say with some confidence .. that when on the 5g with my iphone .. it's alot harder for the units to associate .. not even sure I can say it's actually worked specifically. But i can say it works on 2.4Ghz .. have to beat on the manufacturer for that one.

Perfect valid config, you can create multiple SSID with different security settings and also just select radio and assign these to the very same VLAN. Same on all WAC5xx, all WAX6xx, same on OpenWRT, same on Netgear Insight management. And I'm tempted to state also on the WAX21x.

Yup.. when using an L2 Bridge.

Curious: What do you designate as an AUTO SSID?

That's just the name i used.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The process for adding IoJ to a WiFi AP config is essentially

• Connect the Mobile to the SSID
  • Copy the SSID (on Android also the Wireless key or ask for the PSK)
  • Make mobile Search and access the typically hidden SSID for the IoT and push SSID and PSK to it, make the IoT restart
  • Reconnect to the AP SSID

Note: At no point you need to choose 2.4 GHz 8-)

The only mistakes could be to  apply some client isolation  so the mobile can't discover the configured IoJ. Except of the special config allowing to assign a dedicated NATed  network to an SSID - all plain L2  bridging.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements