× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

wac510 wifi is super slow

damg
Follower

wac510 wifi is super slow

I recently got a new wac510 router and its been running really slow with only 5 devices connected the wifi is really slow. it takes about 20 seconds to load a internet tab. Does anyone know how to speed up the router of fix the slowness?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: wac510 wifi is super slow

If the WAC505/510/540 based speed test does show reasonable numbers matching the subscribed Internet bandwidth, we can focus on other parts.

Are the WAC540 connected with two network connections, is the aggregation enabled and properly configured on the switch (static LAG)?

What is the overall usage of the 2.4 resp. the 5 GHz band resp. the channels in use - at least based on the visible network names in a WiFi test App?

What kind of WiFi clients are involved in the poor performance?

All WiFi clients operating on the current WiFi interface/device drivers?

What are the settings of the WAC radio interfaces?

Current firmware on the WAC?

@noely52 wrote:

The Internet service is 400M-down and the max speed I get on my iPhone or Laptop with 802.11ac at 5GHz is 200M, no matter how close to the WAC510 AP my device is located. 

802.11ac is very wide standard - under ideal (almost laboratory type) conditions - with an 80 MHz wide channel, 400 ns guard interval, 256-QAM, and 5/6 coding, the PHY link rates are in the range from 433 Mbit/s (1x1, e.g. an iPhone 6 or many lowest cost 802.11ac WiFi interfaces), over 866 Mbit/s (2x2, majority of WiFi clients in the field), to 1733 Mbit/s (3x3, much less WiFi clients in the field), up to 3466 Mbit/s (4x4 - almost non-existing in reality). 

So for a 1x1 client, a 200 Mbit/s net data rate is acceptable, not much can be achieved lack of the laboratory isolation environment.

Oh and the very similar span exists on WiFi 6.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
noely52
Initiate

I have similar issue.  I have a new WAC510 connected via Ethernet to the Netgear GC108P switch, which direct connects to a Netgear Cable Modem c7000v2.  The Internet service is 400M-down and the max speed I get on my iPhone or Laptop with 802.11ac at 5GHz is 200M, no matter how close to the WAC510 AP my device is located.  Any help is appreciated.

NOTE:  There is no WAC510 option in the pull-down for the Model field.

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 2 of 5
BenignSage
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with a WAC540. Clients are only able to acieve 10 - 20 Mbps. I have checked as many settings as I can think of. When running the Diagnostics > Speed Check on the AP it shows speeds near 1 Gbps. AP is connected to a Netgear GC752X switch. Checked the port on the switch where the AP is plugged in and it is running at 1 Gbps.
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

If the WAC505/510/540 based speed test does show reasonable numbers matching the subscribed Internet bandwidth, we can focus on other parts.

Are the WAC540 connected with two network connections, is the aggregation enabled and properly configured on the switch (static LAG)?

What is the overall usage of the 2.4 resp. the 5 GHz band resp. the channels in use - at least based on the visible network names in a WiFi test App?

What kind of WiFi clients are involved in the poor performance?

All WiFi clients operating on the current WiFi interface/device drivers?

What are the settings of the WAC radio interfaces?

Current firmware on the WAC?

@noely52 wrote:

The Internet service is 400M-down and the max speed I get on my iPhone or Laptop with 802.11ac at 5GHz is 200M, no matter how close to the WAC510 AP my device is located. 

802.11ac is very wide standard - under ideal (almost laboratory type) conditions - with an 80 MHz wide channel, 400 ns guard interval, 256-QAM, and 5/6 coding, the PHY link rates are in the range from 433 Mbit/s (1x1, e.g. an iPhone 6 or many lowest cost 802.11ac WiFi interfaces), over 866 Mbit/s (2x2, majority of WiFi clients in the field), to 1733 Mbit/s (3x3, much less WiFi clients in the field), up to 3466 Mbit/s (4x4 - almost non-existing in reality). 

So for a 1x1 client, a 200 Mbit/s net data rate is acceptable, not much can be achieved lack of the laboratory isolation environment.

Oh and the very similar span exists on WiFi 6.

Message 4 of 5
BenignSage
Aspirant

To answer your questions in my situation:

• LAG is not configured (yet)
  • Utilization
    • 2.4 Ghz Utilization = 8%
    • 5 Ghz Low Utilization = 0%
    • 5 Ghz High Utilization = 0%
    • No channels conflicting with neighboring APs
  • Devices ranging from laptops, android phones, apple phones, all experiencing same slowness. Tests from laptop/phone produces same result. ALL clients are experiencing this issue.
  • Drivers are not an issue here. Just for some background, this WAC540 replaced an ASUS AC3200. This speed issue did not exist with the AC3200, all clients (phones and laptops) experienced expected speeds.
  • Interface settings
    • SSIS1
      • SSIS: [Redacted]
      • Broadcast SSIS: Yes
      • VLAN ID: [Redacted]
      • Authentication: WPA2 Personal
      • Passphrase: [Redacted]
      • 802.11w: Enabled
      • Schedule: Always ON
      • Band: 2.4 Ghz
      • Band Steering/802.11 k/v: Disabled
      • Wireless Client Isolation: Disabled
      • URL Tracking: Disabled
      • Captive Portal: Disabled
      • MAC ACL: Disabled
      • Rate Limit: Disabled
    • SSIS2
      • SSIS: [Redacted]
      • Broadcast SSIS: Yes
      • VLAN ID: [Redacted]
      • Authentication: WPA2 Personal
      • Passphrase: [Redacted]
      • 802.11w: Enabled
      • Schedule: Always ON
      • Band: 5 Ghz
      • Band Steering/802.11 k/v: Disabled
      • Wireless Client Isolation: Disabled
      • URL Tracking: Disabled
      • Captive Portal: Disabled
      • MAC ACL: Disabled
      • Rate Limit: Disabled
    • 2.4 Ghz
      • Wireless Mode: 11ng
      • Output Power: 100%
      • MCS Index/Data Rate: Best
      • Guard Interval: Auto
      • Channel Width: Dynamic 20/40 Mhz
      • Channel: Auto
    • 5 Ghz Low
      • Wireless Mode: 11ac
      • Guard Interval: Auto
      • Channel Width: 20/40/80 Mhz
    • 5 Ghz High
      • Wireless Mode: 11ac
      • Guard Interval Auto
      • Channel Width: Dynamic 20/40/80 Mhz
    • QOS Settings
      • 2.4 Ghz
        • WMM: Disabled
      • 5 Ghz Low
      • 5 Ghz High
  • Current firmware version: 8.2.5.1
    • No newer version exists at time of this post.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements