Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 Not transmitting usable speeds

Mstaps
Guide

C7000v2 Not transmitting usable speeds

I have spent several hours on the phone with Xfinity, and over an hour on the phone with Netgear (with someone i could barely understand!). Xfinity has confirmed that I have full speed to the router, and sent the highest reset possible yet my speeds are still at 0.79 Mbps wired and 0.6Mbps wireless. I should be seeing about 200Mbps.

This router is a week old, purchased to be able to work from home during state wide shut down, right now I have to tether my cell phone to the PC to get a usable connection. Between the poor connection and the lack of a understandable person on the phone for customer support I am getting extremely frusturated.

Anybody have a "magic" setting or fix?

C7000v2

Firmware Version

V1.03.01
Windows 10 Pro - Dell 3630 workstation (wired)
Windows 10 Home - Acer ASPIRE E5-573G (wireless)
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 Not transmitting usable speeds

do you have a screen snip of your modem's connection page and the modem logs? That's key.

Also, if you have any splitters, attenuators, or amplifiers in line. remove them.

Preferably, directly connect the modem to where the coax enters the home. this prevents wiring within the home from being the issue. 

Message 2 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Coax comes direct from the Comcast splitter box outside, through the garage, through the wall then into the modem. Only split is the pass through wall plate.  I wasn't 100% on which connection page you needed to see,  I grabbed two. Hopefully one of them is the right one... Please let me know if there is a different screen grab you need.

Connection status

Message 3 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Cable Connection1

Message 4 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Log1

Message 5 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Log2

Message 6 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Log3

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

you didn't get all the channls on the screen snip but what you got what enough. Your power is way out of spec and you have to many errors. Try removing the splitter in line. maybe its bad. directly connect the modem and redo the screen snip. If its still like you posted here, you need your isp to check the line.  

Message 8 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Speeds are better this morning, but still extremely inconsistant and lower than they should be.

I will see what I can do with replacing the wall plate. It's not a true splitter, but a double male threaded connector. I will re-post the error log, and channel listing with results.

I appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Well, this mornings slightly higher speeds didn't last long. Shortly after posting they plummeted again. I resorted to tethering my cell phone to the PC to be able to "work" today. I pulled the wall plate with the pass through connector. It was a little loose, but I still removed it. The only other pass through it the one in the Xfinity junction box where the cable from the pole comes in to a grounded pass through connector with a filter on it. This filter is labeled with a red sticker "do not remove" The cable connection is now showing more channels connected, but speed tests are still showing around 2-6Mbps. Log is not showing any more errors
Message 10 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

log

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

Seriously. Your signal is horrible. I'm surprised the internet even partially works.

If you've checked your side of the lines, then you need to contact your isp because your signal is very very far out of spec. 

Message 12 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

@plemans  Thanks for help, much appreciated. Time to sit on hold for a few hours... 

Message 13 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Okay, so this is MESSED up!

While waiting for the tech to come out later this evening I decided to reconnect my cble tv box and see what happened. I put a splitter back in before the modem and hooked up the box. Before the tv box was even finished booting my speeds jumped to anywhere from 45-70Mbps. The signal levels are still all around -20... WTF? I'm not cancelling the apointment just yet.

Message 14 of 16
Mstaps
Guide

Yeah, that was a false success... speeds dropped to absoulte zero within minutes. LOL

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

take a look at this for reference on signal strengths.

https://pickmymodem.com/signal-levels-docsis-3-03-1-cable-modem/

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7