Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800: Auth Reject - Permanent Authorization Failure

ns89
Aspirant

C7800: Auth Reject - Permanent Authorization Failure

Hello all,

I bought a C7800 as "renewed" from Amazon as open box, and it has a sticker on the bottom of the modem over the original MAC address that has a completely new MAC address. This modem is on V3.01.36 firmware, and Mediacom says they don't have a newer FW to push.

I tried getting the modem provisioned by Mediacom, but the tech says that it's "stuck" and won't obtain an IP address. Looking at the admin interface, under startup procedure, it says "Connectivity State - Access Denied" -- when I check the logs, I see this:

Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:73:8d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Error (4) Auth Reject - Permanent Authorization Failure;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:73:8d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

The MAC I redacted above matches the new sticker on the bottom, so the new sticker is correct.

Doing a lot of my own research and Googling, it seems like the CM-MAC not being the original MAC address of the modem could be the problem? There's an Amazon review that talks about refurbs having a sticker over the original MAC, which can cause issues.

To troubleshoot, I bought a new one from Best Buy, which is on the V3.01.40 firmware and it provisioned immediately and works perfectly...it's also much more money. This ruled out any line issues. But in case you would like to see it, here is a shot of the DS/US channels...please note at the top where it says "Connectivity State - Access Denied" -> i.imgur.com/4WOLVgo.jpg

I'm also attaching the screenshot to this post.

If there is a way to get the refurb working, I would love to...I'm more of a solution-finder myself, and would prefer to get this one going. If you guys don't think it's possible, I will just return it I suppose and bite the bullet on a new one.

Thanks for any information or insight!
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
ns89
Aspirant

Re: C7800: Auth Reject - Permanent Authorization Failure

...anyone?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7800: Auth Reject - Permanent Authorization Failure

I would return the modem and get another. I would recommend that you inform Amazon of this problem so that they can return the modem to NG. The modem isn't usable until NG fixes it. 

Or you can try a direct RMA buy opening up a support ticket with NG:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7