Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 Firmware Update Issue

StephMiller03
Follower

C7800 Firmware Update Issue

My modem/router combo keeps losing connection. After some digging online I found that I can download the netgear app to see what's possibly wrong with my machine. Well it tells me that the firmware needs to be updated. However, the router admin site doesn't give me an option to do the update myself. I find online where the ISP has to do it so I call them. They tell me they can't. They're not setup for that. I call Netgear and get told that they can't do it either. It has to be the ISP. Does anyone have any advice on how to get my machine fixed that doesn't include me paying $500 for a new modem/router?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: C7800 Firmware Update Issue

A couple things.

1. the ISP ultimately controls the firmware on modem's and combo devices. Its part of the docsis spec. Netgear can update the router and send it to the isp. But the ISP is the one that certifies it and updates it to devices. Sadly, they rarely do because it costs them $ to certify/test it.  you can view your version versus what the current one is for your isp. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

2. Many times its not a firmware issue that causing problems. So a better description of whats actually going on that you think the firmware might fix would help. 

3. I'd check your line.  Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

4. once thats done, if you still have issues, post back here with the details and a screen snip of the event log and the cable connections page. 

Message 2 of 6

I fought with this between xfinity and netgear.  Do a factory reset within the modem portal.  It will automatically do a firmware upgrade.  Mine is now updated and I hope my connection issues are resolved.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is now loaded on the modem? 

@freemandennis wrote:

I fought with this between xfinity and netgear.  Do a factory reset within the modem portal.  It will automatically do a firmware upgrade.  Mine is now updated and I hope my connection issues are resolved.

Message 4 of 6

I went from V3.01.38 to V6.01.07.  I believe that is the latest.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements