Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 AX2700 ReadyShare shows connected drive but the folder is empty

KO45BIN
Guide

CAX30 AX2700 ReadyShare shows connected drive but the folder is empty

Hi, any help would be appreciated. I have CAX30 AX2700 modem router with USB connected external 8GB drive. I use the drive for playing videos only through Plex Media. The system is Windows 11 Home.

Until yesterday everything was working just fine. The external drive was showing in my Explorer, I could view and modify the drive contents with no problems. All files were showing and in Plex and videos could be played.

Yesterday, the drive was still showing in the Explorer but when I clicked on it it said "This folder is empty". When I clicked on "This PC" it shows the drive, its size of it and how much of it is still empty. At the same time I could still play the videos on Plex.

I disconnected the drive from the router and connected directly to the computer. Sure enough I could see and modify all the video files there with no problem. When connected back to the router the same thing happened. Drive is recognized but shows empty. At some point I was able to see only Hidden Recycle bin folder, but no other files.

Seems the USB cable works, because I used the same one to connect directly to the computer. I disconnected the drive and reconnected it again, but the only thing happened was that Plex stopped reading it.

I have not made any recent changes to any of the setup.

Can anybody help with this issue?

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: CAX30 AX2700 ReadyShare shows connected drive but the folder is empty

Might have been a firmware update that caused it. Unsure but we've been seeing multiple reports lately about the CAX30.

Random question is if you've got plex installed on something already, why not have the drive directly into that device? The delay from the plex server actually having to run through the network to connect to the drive and then stream that to devices causes slow downs and lag. It's better to have it directly connected to the plex media server device. 

Message 2 of 10
KO45BIN
Guide

Thanks, from my understanding the computer has to be on at all times to be able to access the server. This was the only reason why I connected it this way. Most of the time I had no issues streaming, but I'll try connecting to the desktop directly and see what happens.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

The computer does need to be on to manage the plex server. but if its not on, you're plex isn't on/in use, so you're not accessing the data. Or am I missing something in your setup? 

Message 4 of 10
KO45BIN
Guide

I'm streaming the content of the external drive to 2 different TV's which have Plex apps installed. So if the computer is off the Plex server will be off too and Plex apps won't be able to access the content. Having it on the router makes it accessible at any time. Unless I'm missing something here

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

So you're not using it as an actual plex server. 

I think that router has a build in dlna server that will stream certain media files (if in the proper format) so you're using the plex app to stream off the dlna content from the drive from the sound of it. 

Any dlna app from your tv should stream off the drive. 

I don't have one to check and haven't used the built in dlna server in a long time. 

It works but the content needs to be in certain files/order to work properly as the built in dlna server from the router is super basic and hasn't been updated in ages. Its a good first step for streaming media. You see a lot of people start this route and then switch to using a full media server either off a NAS or small computer because then it can transcode, scan media and organize it, and more. Tends to be a lot more user friendly. Not saying what you're doing is wrong, its perfect. Its just pretty limiting and a bit of a pita. 

Message 6 of 10
KO45BIN
Guide

Please keep in mind, everything worked just fine until I noticed the problem with the drive content showing empty on the File Explorer, which caused me to try to troubleshoot the issue. I tried some suggestions I found online but none worked. The drive icon shows in the Explorer through Readyshare, but when I click on it it says this folder is empty. And primarily it is what I am trying to solve. Once this is solved the Plex would be able to access it too, because right now when I try to add folder in the Plex library the drive shows as Z: but only Recycle Bin is visible, not actual media files that are there.

KO45BIN_0-1677079553895.png

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

so the photo you shows (from my experience) is of an actual plex server and not the app that tv's run. 

What is it running on? 

Can a pc/laptop see the attached storage on the network? 

Message 8 of 10
KO45BIN
Guide

PC can't see attached storage unless I map the drive on Network. Then I can add it through readyshare and shows in the This PC folder but when I click on it it says the folder is empty

KO45BIN_0-1677083563548.png

Additionally when I log in to the router, I can view the drive, when I go to edit network folder and click browse the folder the whole drive shows up but only Recycle bin folders are visible.

KO45BIN_1-1677083637060.png

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Stick a file in the root of the hard drive. Not in separate folders and see if it can see it. 

Also, how long has this been going on? there was a firmware update 2/8. maybe that corrupted something. 

you could always try downgrading. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7