Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 - Disables internet on name change.

Jeckre
Aspirant

CAX30 - Disables internet on name change.

Was there a fix for the issue? 

I am having the exact same issue on my CAX30 that I have had for over a year now. 

Message 1 of 9
Jeckre
Aspirant

Re: CAX30 - Disables internet on name change.

I had replied to a post about a CAX30 not workiing after changing the network Names but I guess it created a new post as well. 

So the issue I'm having is this. 

I have a CAX30 modem router combo that I have had for just over a year and has worked great till now. 

Cant get either 2.4 or 5 to connect to any devices, all devices connect and then say no Ip.

I factory reset the unit, Upon first set up and default name I can connect to the internet just fine no issues on phone or laptop. 

I go to change the name back to what the name was before and I then get Issue with getting no IP. 

The new name is the same name as I had before. I have SEVERAL smart devices that I cannot get to now to change them to a new network name so I want to get the same name set up again so they will connect. 

The name is a basic name like "Jeckre" the password is basic but works ex "Password123" nothing weird or anything.

I have factory reset a few times I manualy added the current firmware 1.4.11.2 and even tried to downgrade firmware back to

1.4.10.10 and have same issue with both. 

I also tried to change the name to just Test 1 and Test 2 and a password of litterally Password123

it does the same thing of then my devices wont connect and say No IP. 

so everything works when on default Name but changing to a new name breaks it. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give. 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices do you have connected? 

Be sure to forget any prior saved SSID name profiles after you make he change and see if the devices will connect.

Message 3 of 9
Jeckre
Aspirant

Hey Furry i sent you a message with specifics but wanted to give a basic answer here for people who see this issue later. 

No i dont have anything odd in the name it is one upercase and then lowercase for the name like "Jeckre" and password is one upper a few lower and two numbers like "Password12" 

I have made sure to remove the saved network SSID on my devices and even tried a brand new name to test. I did Test1 and Test2 and litterally did Password1 as the password and had the same issue. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Got it.

So you have Smart Connect disabled. What happens if you enable it for testing this and give a simple name and PW? 

What devices do you have connected? 

Also what security mode are you using on the modem? As a quick test, set it to NONE temporarily to see if your wifi devices connect. Then if they do set to WPA2 and AES then try again. 

Message 5 of 9
Jeckre
Aspirant

So I set the SSID for 2.4 and 5 to the names I told you and the set the Password to none. 

My phone and laptop would connect just fine I get internet and it works good. 

I set the Password for the only the 2.4 to a WPA2 (AES)  password name i gave you and then both 2.4 and 5 wont connect anymore. 

I tried setting the passord for 2.4 to a WPA2 (AES) and gave it a name of Home1234 and 2.4 and 5 still wont work. put the password to none again and both work again. 

I set the smart connect to on and set the name and password to match the 2.4 name and password i sent you and i could not get onto internet I set it to a basic name of Homewifi and password of Home1234 and still cant get onto the wifi with smart connect and brand new name. 

so no password and it works set a password on smart connect or not smart connect and the internet stops connecting.  

Message 6 of 9
Jeckre
Aspirant

So now on Smart connect i can get it to work if i set it to Homewifi for the name and Home1234 as password and rebooted the unit. 

If I set the name back to my orriginal name and password i cant get anything to connect PC or mobile or other devices. 

Wont even connect not "No ip" Just wont connect says cannont connect but the password is correct. 

I tried my work phone that has NEVER been on my home Wifi before and that phone cant connect either so it never had a SSID saved before. 

Thanks. 

Message 7 of 9
Jeckre
Aspirant

I turned off smart connect and did 

2.4 as Homewifi - Home1234

5 as Homewifi5 - Home1234 

and both are working and connecting

Change only the 2.4

Orriginal Name of  - Home1234" 

and now both work fine. 

Change the 2.4 to 

Orrginal wifi name and orriginal password 

and now neither the 2.4 or 5 will work again. 

So why wont it let me use my orrigianl name and password that it has been set to for the last year plus? 

No weird numbers or symbols all basic stuff yet it crashed the unit. I see im not the only one with this exact issue to but cant see to find a reason for it. 

Also not sure why setting the 2.4 to the orriginal yet having the 5 to the new name yet both dont work is very odd. 

why is setting the name and password on the 2.4 making the 5 not work either. 

I really dont want to go a set a new Network on all the smart security stuff i have many are outside in several feet of snow to get to and impossible to get to right now im going on a ladder in the snow lol. also its like 30 devices or more i would need to reset and set back up again. 

thanks. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume the CAX30 is out of warranty? 

I think we should pass this onto NG for review. Seems like this is a FW issue and not sure why custom specific SSID names are not working. NG needs to review and look into this. 

@DarrenM @KevinLiT @olympos1625 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7