Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 Modem 3.1 DOCSIS compatible with CenturyLink?

Letterman
Aspirant

CM1000 Modem 3.1 DOCSIS compatible with CenturyLink?

I purchased the Netgear CM1000 from Amazon earlier this year (2017) when it was released for my service with Xfinity, but I've grown tired of their data limits and am wanting to try out CenturyLink. I've read on their website that it's not compatible, but is that correct? If so, is there a way to modify the settings or firmware to make it work? I spent a lot on it and would rather not buy another modem.

Message 1 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CM1000 Modem 3.1 DOCSIS compatible with CenturyLink?

Century Link is DSL/Fiber. CM1000 is !!NOT!! compatible with Century link. 

I cannot imagine someone moving from Xfinity to Century link. are they really good? (Not saying Comcast is good but it sure sucks less than Century link)

Message 2 of 5
Letterman
Aspirant

I figured it wouldn't be. The reason for my switch is that I come close, if not go over, the 1TB data limit every month and I limit myself at the end of the month just to avoid going over. They offer unlimited, but for $50 more a month which is complete BS. I have not had CenturyLink installed yet, but I have a friend nearby who does and they have no complaints. What bothers me about Comcast is that my package was 250mb/s, but that is shared over the area and not dedicated like CenturyLink. CenturyLink has fiber optics in my area with dedicated lines to each home, so what they say I'm paying for is what I'll get. My current DL speed with Comcast is roughly 24mb/s on average for $59.99 a month. CenturyLink is promising 60mb/s for $55 a month.

I guess I might give them a week to see how it does and if I like it, then I'll look into a different Modem. If not, I'll go back to Comcast. I hate the fact that Comcast is such a monoply.
Message 3 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Fiber is technically better than Coax/HFC but it does not mean it is not shared. I am not sure what kind of architecture Centurylink is using (EPON, GPON,DEPON, etc). Most of the times, we get misled by marketing message from the operators. 

buy something which fits your needs and is stable. good luck. 

Message 4 of 5
Letterman
Aspirant

I love my Netgear equipment too much to just switch though. That might be what keeps me with Comcast. Google Fiber was supposed to be here last year, but Comcast shut that down real quick. CenturyLink charges $60 for setup on top of first month's charge, so not sure if switching is even worth the $120, plus finding a new modem/router company I'll like even remotely close to Netgear.

Thanks for answering my original question. Honestly, it's a big let down that there are so many restrictions when it comes to a basic neccesity nowadays.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7