Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 Not Getting Proper Speed - Xfinity Blaming my Modem

DJBUFORD06
Follower

CM1000 Not Getting Proper Speed - Xfinity Blaming my Modem

Summary: Internet connection and speed is significantly less than the speed I am paying for with Xfinity... Comcast is claiming that the issue with with my modem rather than anything on their end.

Hardware:

• Modem: CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1
  • Router: R6700 Nighthawk AC1750

ISP: Comcast Xfinity Gigabit Plan - Dual Band WiFi @ 2.4 & 5GHz

Issue: Internet speed on my devices even when hardlined into the modem never exceeds 100Mbps.  Contacted Xfinity support and they claim that there is no issue with the signal that they are sending to my apartment, but that my modem is not properly receiving the signial and this is causing the significant difference between my plan speed and the speed I am acheiving.

When I log into my nighthawk app and run the speed test from there, it shows 200Mbps+ down (which honestly would be totally fine with me if I were able to actually get that on wireless) but any other speed test site from my browser never exceeds 60Mbps on wireless.  I am suspicious of Xfinity's claim that everything on their end is fine, but I do not know how to verify whether or not the issue is truly with my Modem.  At this point, though, Xfinity has punted all blame to NETGEAR and simply given me the NETGEAR customer support phone number.

Due to when I purchased my router & modem, I am outside the phone support window with NETGEAR so creating a case with them would seem to require also signing up for a service plan, which honestly feels like such a slap in the face that I would really like to avoid it if possible.  Buying the product wasn't enough, I have to pay extra for NETGEAR to acctually support their product when it has an issue? 

If anyone could help me troubleshoot this, or at least give me advice on how I could verify Xfinity's claim that the issue is whith my modem, it would be greatly apprecaited.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000 Not Getting Proper Speed - Xfinity Blaming my Modem

The first step is to isolate the problem. 

Take the router out of consideration when testing. 

so go direct: modem------->pc/laptop

Also, make sure you're not testing via app or wireless. They won't max out a connection and many things influence wireless (even worse in an apartment)

Try testing at dslreports.com   

What speed to you get directly connected to the modem and testing at dslreports.com?

What speed do you pay for? 

Also, log into the modem and click on the cable connection. Then take a screen snip of the cable connection page. get all the info off this. And get a screen snip of your logs. 

once we get full speed to the modem, then we move on to possible router issues. 🙂

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7