Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 modem and Nighthawk XR500 need constant reboots to maintain speed

JWainio
Follower

CM1000 modem and Nighthawk XR500 need constant reboots to maintain speed

Hello,

For about 2 months now I have noticed that almost on a daily basis and sometimes more, I need to completely reboot my router and modem (unplug) in order to get speeds over 70Mbps. Please note I have gigabit internet from XFINITY. When it is working properly I usually speed test between 800-970 Mbps. This is baffling me and I believe it is tied to the router however, not 100 percent certain. Was looking to see if I can try updating firmware on the modem as the XR500 Nighthawk router just did a firmware update the other day when I was struggling with this. I did a complete factory reboot on the router and seemed to work but again last night it was doing it again. I do notice that when the internet hard drops, the modem almost seems to be rebooting when I get a look at it in this process. Please assist as this is baffling me at this point.

Note: Speeds are tested over wifi and hardline using speedtest.net and google.

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000 modem and Nighthawk XR500 need constant reboots to maintain speed

If its happening daily, try this. 

Hardwire a pc/laptop into the modem. Use it for a day to see if the speeds drop. 

Troubleshooting the modem is different than the router and we want to find out where the speed drop is coming from. 

Message 2 of 3
decosse
Apprentice

Re: CM1000 modem and Nighthawk XR500 need constant reboots to maintain speed

@JWainio wrote:

Hello,

For about 2 months now I have noticed that almost on a daily basis and sometimes more, I need to completely reboot my router and modem (unplug) in order to get speeds over 70Mbps. Please note I have gigabit internet from XFINITY. When it is working properly I usually speed test between 800-970 Mbps.

That is identical to what was happening with my CM1150V with Xfinity - I have the 500Mbps plan and it regularly tests at 600 

It had been working perfectly for almost a year 

Suddenly a few weeks ago, it would drop off to a crawl (less than 10 Mbps) over the course of the day; additionally EVERY morning, it would be like that, the first noticable indication was that as I was coming down stairs, I could see my Doorbell Module was off-line.

Again this suddenly started happenning but then was consistent in that behaviour.

Like yours, a power cycle, would instantly bring it back, and then it would again start to drop off over course of the day - any time I saw the speed falling off, could do a power cycle and it would come back to full speed. 

(I had also isolated the router out of the equation, connecting my primary PC directly to the Modem, with same results) 

Xfinity came out and throughly checked my lines all the way to the street with a clean bill of health. They gave me an Xfinity modem. It has been flawless ever since (couple of weeks now) so definitely something wrong with the Negear.  

The CM1150V is on its way back to Netgear, currently awaiting the replacement to arrive. 

But again, your described problem mimics mine exactly.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7