Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 modem comcast gigabit - slow speed

citsur86
Aspirant

Re: CM1000 modem comcast gigabit - slow speed

The Surface Dock doesn't plug via 3.1 type C USB (though the Surface Book 2 does have that connection - and you're right its stupidly not Thunderbolt).  The Surface Dock connects to the Surface Book 2 via the magnetic charging port.  You may be right in that the dock's chipset itself may not be able to handle dual monitor output, with CPU intensive twitch streaming, and running a game that calls for a GeForce 1060GTX graphics card (which I have).  I'm definitely pushing it.  Maybe running the Ethernet directly out of the USB-C or USB (bought one of each to test) will help alleviate the issue.

Message 26 of 31
TurretGaming
Aspirant

Microsoft made a great laptop, but they could have sealed the deal with thunderbolt. Either way give it a shot and let me know how it turns out. Cause if it was that then it's a easy fix to get back up and running.
Message 27 of 31
wgdunlap
Tutor

I have Surface 2017 and I also experienced problems with connecting via Ethernet. I tried multiple adapters and none worked particularly well. That being said I also have Mac Pro with Gigabit Ethernet end I still never saw more than 450 from Comcast, and even that was sporadic. At home, I ended up dropping Comcast for Verizon and I now get 980 down and 840 up. Interestingly, I moved the Comcast gigabit service to my vacation home and the service was closer to the gigabit, but only with their router. However, that speed has recently fallen into the 500 and 600 range. Comcast is tying to force the speed over old coax lines and outdated servers and nodes. Their older infrastructure just cannot seem to support the gigabit speed. The older your neighborhood the worse it seems to be. The number of people with gigabit also seems to effect things. My vacation property is at the beach and in the winter the speed is between rhen in the summer when people are using their vacation properties. The entire Comcast experience has been very frustrating and disappointing. If Verizon had service where my vacation property is located, I would definitely make the switch.
Message 28 of 31
citsur86
Aspirant

The day I get the email that my neighborhood has Verizon is the day I leave Comcast.  Currently, it's my only option for high-speed internet.  I suspect some neighbors also have Gigabit but I don't know.  Sucks to hear that the adapters might not necessarily work.  My only hope is that my own activity (gaming+streaming) seems to have a direct effect on my internet speed. I notice the more i use my internet, the slower it goes.  Almost as if the speed is a consumable resource.  Which I know is rediculous.

Message 29 of 31
TurretGaming
Aspirant

You still have a data cap. You are only allowed to use so much at said speed. They don't charge you or stop your usage but instead slow it. It's in the agreement you signed/ acknowledged. Watch this video about it. It will clear that up. The ending is beautiful https://youtu.be/S2U7nVq0ly0
Message 30 of 31
citsur86
Aspirant

Nope I do not - I am in NJ.  As per this list I am excluded from a data cap.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7