Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000v2 -Replacing old CM400 can't pick up an IP address from Xfinity after installation/activation

modemuser
Tutor

CM1000v2 -Replacing old CM400 can't pick up an IP address from Xfinity after installation/activation

Called up Xfinity to swap out with my old CM400 and I was never able to pick up an IP address from them afterward.  Tried both a Google WiFi setup and a laptop behind it - neither one could get a lease from their DHCP server.

They never allowed me to advance beyond tier-1 support and provided only the "roll the dice" option of sending a tech out, which I declined ($70 charge if they determine it's "my problem").

We placed the old CM400 back in service and it fired right back up - albeit with the same IP lease it had before.

I've read elsewhere that some Asus routers had issues with this and requesting that Xfinity send a "provisioning" signal fixes it almost every time.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000v2 -Replacing old CM400 can't pick up an IP address from Xfinity after installation/activa

@modemuser wrote:

Google Wifi (don't judge).---Not judging. its a decent mesh system

I'll spend some more time with it and Xfinity tonight.  The way it sounds though, if the modem hooks up with their signal, there should be nothing the modem would cause for the DHCP issue I'm seeing?

If you get it activated by going modem----pc, then it should work. You might have to power off the system as prior described and reset/reinstall the google wifi but it should work 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000v2 -Replacing old CM400 can't pick up an IP address from Xfinity after installation/activa

If when you connected the cm400 back up, it immediately worked, then xfinity didn't ever provision your new one. 

I've found much better luck with xfinity's online chat support. You can have them add the mac for the cm1000 to their provisioning system that route. 

Or you can use the auto-activate option. I've had it work for me pretty much every time since the cm400. I've had to run it a couple times before because its errored out part way through xfinity activating it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24939/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Router-Online-Activation-with-Comcast-Xfinity-servi...

Message 2 of 7
modemuser
Tutor

They definitely had to change the MAC back when I reverted to the 400 before it worked.  The CM1000 hooked up to their protocol OK, they could see it, they could supposedly issue restart commands, I could just never pick up an IP.  The one thing I don't know is if they actually sent this "provisioning" signal/command to it that I've heard about.  They apparently tried a number of things...

When I had a laptop hooked directly up, I could not force a DHCP lease renewal and it never issued an IP to me - it was always stuck on the auto-assigned 169.254.x.x.

Looks like the activation links are all forwarding to a page forcing you to use the mobile app now.  None of the directions that are documented on Netgear's site seem to match reality anymore.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try getting it activated again. 

Once its fully activated, power it off and disconnect power and coax to it. Factory reset your router as well to start both back at factory.

leave the modem off a couple minutes. 

then connect coax and power it on. give it a couple minutes. 

Then connect the router to it. power the router on. give it a few minutes. 

Then attempt setting up the router. 

What router are you using? 

Message 4 of 7
modemuser
Tutor

Google Wifi (don't judge).

I'll spend some more time with it and Xfinity tonight.  The way it sounds though, if the modem hooks up with their signal, there should be nothing the modem would cause for the DHCP issue I'm seeing?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@modemuser wrote:

Google Wifi (don't judge).---Not judging. its a decent mesh system

If you get it activated by going modem----pc, then it should work. You might have to power off the system as prior described and reset/reinstall the google wifi but it should work 

Message 6 of 7
modemuser
Tutor

Had another go at it last night.  Connected the new modem and boom - worked fine.  Oddly, I didn't have to call them to have them change anything on their side.  I'm guessing the MAC of the new modem was associated with my account or something from the first try?  In any case, works (for now at least) and life goes on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, plemans.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7