Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200 does not assign IP address unless Ethernet cable is unplugged and plugged back in

zbrozek
Tutor

CM1200 does not assign IP address unless Ethernet cable is unplugged and plugged back in

I bought a CM1200 yesterday to replace a super-flaky SB8200. Unfortunately, the CM1200 only allows me to get an IP address right after cycling the Ethernet cable. This is a problem, as whenever I change settings my router reboots itself and I have to go cycling a cable to reestablish connectivity. There are no settings to speak of in the device configuration, so I can only assume that this is a firmware bug.
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1200 does not assign IP address unless Ethernet cable is unplugged and plugged back in

Swap the LAN cable between the modem and your connected device. CAT 6 is recommended. 

What device do you have connected to the modem? PC or External router? Mfr and model#?

Message 2 of 10
zbrozek
Tutor

Re: CM1200 does not assign IP address unless Ethernet cable is unplugged and plugged back in

Same problem reproduces with six different cables, including the brand-new one that shipped with the CM1200.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What device do you have connected to the modem? PC or External router? Mfr and model#?

Message 4 of 10
zbrozek
Tutor

I've tried two devices. One is plan-of-record, the other is for debugging.

Debugging device is an ancient WRT54G. Plan-of-record device is a computer with an Intel NIC attached to a VM running pfsense. Right now whenever I change a setting on the WRT54G, it reboots itself. With the VM, if I ever reboot it, the NIC doesn't actually bring down the PHY - it just asks for a new IP on restart.

It doesn't seem like there should be any connection between responding to a DHCP request and link history.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you have a more up to date router? Something to test with to see if the CM still hands out and IP with out having to unplug and plug in the LAN cable? 

I didn't see this issue with my 1200...

Message 6 of 10
zbrozek
Tutor

The VM is about as up-to-date as it gets. That said, I see the same behavior with my Thinkpad. If I unplug the cable and replug it in, the next dhcp client request works fine.

I'll try to collect more data, including some tcpdump logs.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG support and send them your logs.

@vkdelta 

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes I suggest contacting support and if you have any issues getting ahold of support to send me a PM.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Almost every ISP has max_CPE set in the DOCSIS Config file to value of just "1".

that means only 1 IP goes out to the CPE behind modem.

Now, when you have a CPE with MAC address aa:bb:cc:11:11:11 attached to the device and has got an IP, only this MAC will be allowed to get an IP unless you wait for a while (I forgot exactly how long) or power cycle the modem.

can you please capture bootp?

Have you seen this issue on SB8200?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7