Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to Orbi 2.6.9 with OpenVPN 2.6.9

Can't connect to Orbi 2.6.9 with OpenVPN 2.6.9

As the subject says, and as others have described, I can't connect to my Orbi CBR40 in Windows 11. The OpenVPN client indicates with an icon that it's connected, but it really isn't. IPConfig/all shows no IP address associated with the NETGEAR-VPN Tap adapter.

Apparently many people are successful. I've tried suggestions to other users found here, to no avail.

One error message that seems like it could be resolved is that OpenVPN can't find the certs. They're in the same folder as the config file and I find no way to specify differently in OpenVPN setup.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't connect to Orbi 2.6.9 with OpenVPN 2.6.9

Just to confirm.....  The Windows 11 computer is not connected to the Orbi LAN when using OpenVPN, correct?

All of the VPN files should be in the same folder before they are imported into the OpenVPN client. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to confirm.....  The Windows 11 computer is not connected to the Orbi LAN when using OpenVPN, correct?

All of the VPN files should be in the same folder before they are imported into the OpenVPN client. 

Message 2 of 10

Correct. I connect to my phone hotspot and turn off wifi on the phone.
Message 3 of 10

I unintentionally hit the solved button. Can that be reversed? The mobile view of the site is awkward.
Message 4 of 10

With respect to the certs being in the same directory as the ovpn file when opened, they are. That's what's puzzling.
Message 5 of 10

Also, the Android client works perfectly. I can connect to my SAN from my phone when connected to to mobile network, only.
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@SomebodyInGNV wrote:
I unintentionally hit the solved button. Can that be reversed? The mobile view of the site is awkward.

I cannot find a method to "Unsolve" a post.

Like most large companies, Netgear implements software solutions written by other companies.  The community forum appears to be called "Lithium", which may have been purchased in 2019 by Khorus.  There are numerous 'features' of the forum software that I find annoying.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@SomebodyInGNV wrote:
With respect to the certs being in the same directory as the ovpn file when opened, they are. That's what's puzzling.

Hmmm.  This is confusing.  My Windows 11 PC has OpenVPN GUI 11.47.0.0/OpenVPN 2.6..9.  (I notice that OpenVPN 2.6.10 just came out today and am debating whether to install it or not.)

I am disappointed that my log file shows very little and wondering if using the GUI front end "makes a difference".  The GUI does not seem to have a setting for Debug level of the log file.

p.s. Unlike the smartphone versions of OpenVPN, the 'version 2' of OpenVPN supports both

• tun connections, where the connection is a Layer 3 "tunnel", and
  • tap connections, where the connection is a Layer 2, i.e. part of the Orbi LAN which means that broadcast packets go both ways across the connection.

Version 3 of OpenVPN dropped the tap connection option.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Does it look like this person's question is similar to yours?

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=44122 

p.s. I don't know what the commend about "wrong area" means.

Message 9 of 10

It looks like their problem is similar to mine, because it's me. I posted the same question on the OpenVPN community forum and got zero response. The "wrong forum" remark is my impression that I posted a community project question in the commercial client section.

OpenVPN moved to a new forum venue, BTW. I posted there, too, with the same result, i.e., nothing.

I'm giving up on this, and the Orbi. I ordered an ASUS RT-AC86U on ebay with plans to set up an IPSec VPN to be used with the Windows native client.

Thanks for your attention.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7