Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP OfficeJet printer seems to cause DoS messages in C3700

ksyrium
Initiate

HP OfficeJet printer seems to cause DoS messages in C3700

I recently installed a new HP OfficeJet 6830 printer.  It is connected to a desktop via USB and also is enabled for wireless communication.  Whenenver I turn the printer ON or OFF, I see messages like this in my router log:

[DoS attack: Teardrop or derivative] from 192.168.0.16, port 61375    8    Wed Feb 17 08:37:12 2016    239.255.255.250:65535    192.168.0.16:61375

These messages coincide exactly with turning the printer on or off.  When this happens, I typically lose my Internet connectivity.  After about 5 - 10 minutes, normal service is restored.

I've had 2 calls with HP Support so far and they have not been able to help.  The things I've tried are:

1. reset wireless settings on printer

2. disable UPnP on the router

3. enable/disable the router setting "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection"

4. disabled/uninstalled "Web services" on the printer

The only thing that has "helped" is to fully disable the wireless settings on the printer.  This effectively takes the printer off of the network.

At this point it seems that the printer is doing something wrong but I don't know what to try next.  Any help would be appreciated.

(Firmware level is V2.02.08 and the ISP is Comcast)

Message 1 of 4
ksyrium
Initiate

Re: HP OfficeJet printer seems to cause DoS messages in C3700

Update on my issue... I did a full uninstall/reinstall of the printer and the issue has not been resolved.  I also had 3 calls with HP Support which did not yield any improvement.

At this point, I've checked Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection meaning I have disabled the "protection".  The DoS messages are still being logged however the C3700 does not seem to lose its Internet connectivity.  Previously I thought that even with the setting on I was still having connectivity issues but after trying again, it seems that the messages are still there but the connection is not affected.

Based on what I've read, for a home network, this "protection" seems to be of limited usefulness so I'm ok with setting it this way.  Also, I really don't want to have to return the printer and this is the only option that I've come up with for now.

Message 2 of 4
lironl
Aspirant

Hi I have a related problem with my new Netgear C6300BD-1TLAUS cable modem gateway and my HP OfficeJet 6500a+ printer.

My problem is that my computer loses connectivity with the printer after awhile.  If I turn off the printer and turn it on again, all works fine the for a short time but then it stops working.  When I look at the modem's system logs, I see these messages about a detected teardrop attack coming from my printer.

I have tried removing the printer and reinstalling the printer, but the software can't communicate with my printer.

I have turned off detectiono of DOS attacks but this hasn't helped.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0,C6300BD-1TLAUS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Gateway Wi-Fi AC,C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4
lironl
Aspirant

I've found a workaround to my problem.

If I go into the modem's Wi-Fi Settings and set the security option to to WPA-PSK (TKIP) then restart my printer, I no longer have my problem.  If I use WPA-PSK(TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) then I have the problem.  If I use WPA2+PSK(AES) then I have more problems.

Model: C6300BD-1TLAUS|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Gateway Wi-Fi AC
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7