Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to update CM1200 modem bootfile after upgrading to gigabit internet service

cgm507
Follower

How to update CM1200 modem bootfile after upgrading to gigabit internet service

I recently upgraded my Xfinity internet plan from 175 Mbps (Blast Pro Plus) to gigabit internet service.  My speeds have never exceeded ~400 Mbps down // ~10 Mbps up.  I've performed all the standard troubleshooting procedures to no avail:

• double-checking/tightening coax cables
  • removing my router from the equation and cabling the laptop directly to the modem with a new Cat 6 Ethernet cable
  • temporarily disabling anti-virus & firewall software
  • performing a modem factory reset
  • scheduled service call and Xfinity tech confirmed my area node was stable and showed very little congestion

Today, during my 4th interaction in 2 weeks with Xfinity technical support, they finally discovered that my modem still has the 'blastproplus' bootfile from my previous plan applied to it.  The support rep attempted to update the bootfile but was unable to because "the modem would not allow us".  He then tried to force it to update by performing a complete modem reset on his end, thinking that with my gigabit internet service plan applied to my account, the modem would accept the correct gigabit bootfile and remove the old blastproplus one.  It did not work and at that point I was referred to Netgear for help ("since this is your own modem and we [Xfinity] cannot access the settings of the modem to correct the bootfile you need to contact the OEM").

Good news is I'm confident the root cause to my underperforming internet speed crisis has been identified:  my modem's bootfile is in need of changing.  My concern is I don't know how to accomplish this if even my ISP cannot execute this change.  I'd appreciate any suggestions someone could offer.

Product:  Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem

Model:  CM1200

Hardware Version:  1.01
Firmware Version:  V1.02.02
CM Certificate:  Installed

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to update CM1200 modem bootfile after upgrading to gigabit internet service

Work with the ISP to ensure they are pushing the right config file. 

Power OFF the modem for 1 minute, then back ON. 

Use a wired PC connected to port #1 on the back of the modem for wired speed testing. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7