Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use the r6100 as a router connected to a C3700 modem/router

japublications
Aspirant

How to use the r6100 as a router connected to a C3700 modem/router

Hello - I have a Xfinity 150 meg per second internet package. I bought a C3700 modem router combo and used it for a few months. Being that we have over 20 devices connected to it, I wanted a simultaneous dual band router and bought the r6100. The current configuration is this - The cable coaxil goes into the modem or c3700. A CAT6 ethernet cable goes from the c3700 to the r6100 internet port. 

No other configuration is done within either devices firmware. All settings are stock with an exception of the SSID and password and the Netgenie password was changed also.

Both SSID's are named identical to support dual band simultaneously. Everything works, but I'm wondering if this is the most secure way to use these two netgear devices. I'm testing in the low 90's as far as megs per second. We pay for 150 which makes me think something isn't setup optimally. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How to use the r6100 as a router connected to a C3700 modem/router

Hello japublications 

Did you set your R6100 up as a access point if so that may be why it does not work when you make the c3700 a modem only.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello japublications

You will want to make one change to this setup. You will want to log into the C3700 go to advanced then Administration then router mode and select No this will make it a modem only so your R6100 will do all the routing right now you may have problems because you have 2 routers connected to each other that could cause conflicts.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
japublications
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. When I logged into the c3700 and turned off router mode, my connection not longer worked. I was able to connect to the r6100 SSID, but there was only local addresses in the configuration meaning nothing was being transmitted from Comcast. Turn it back on and everything works again. Keep in mind, the 2.4 and 5.2 channel lights went off on the c3700 from the time I started broadcasting the SSID via the r6100.
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello japublications 

Did you set your R6100 up as a access point if so that may be why it does not work when you make the c3700 a modem only.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7