Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I tried NG fixes, no good. Deleted all CAX30 info from PC, reset, reinstalled, as if new

oskcorn
Aspirant

I tried NG fixes, no good. Deleted all CAX30 info from PC, reset, reinstalled, as if new

I tried NG fixes, no good. Deleted all CAX30 info from PC, reset, reinstalled, as if new. It worked for about 18 hours and back to square one. What I don't understand, if they can update firmware automatically, why can't they just delete their mess by reinstalling the former firmware when everything worked? They should be able to work on a patch on their time, not mine! I will NEVER buy or recommend another NETGEAR product, but I will relate my experience as it unfolds. As a senior whose normal expenses are higher than my income, I can't runaround buying new equipment less than a year later. I used to write programs on main frame computers and coding is not that difficult once you know the language, it's about logic.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
oskcorn
Aspirant

Re: I tried NG fixes, no good. Deleted all CAX30 info from PC, reset, reinstalled, as if new

FINALLY! SUCCESS! The last steps were to use Chrome instead of Edge, and because the modem connection came up unsecured, I needed to bypass the warning to get the chance to upload the old version to the router. After that, I had to reset the network at the destinations. CAUTION: Those still using the modem to hardwire to their PC, based on my experience of getting unsecured connections, it seems the firmware problem may have also affected the security of the modem in addition to the Wi-Fi. Thank you for your patience and knowledge. BTW, I used to write software using BAL on the IBM 370 series under POWER. De-bugging software was so much easier. Plenty of logic, but not much useful knowledge today. LOL

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I tried NG fixes, no good. Deleted all CAX30 info from PC, reset, reinstalled, as if new

Is the CAX30 still at v2.x FW, if it is and you can access the modems WEB UI, please downgrade it to the v1.4x version asap.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/My-Nighthawk-CAX30-Cable-Modem-Router-is-not-...

Also, Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page after downgrading FW.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Message 2 of 9
oskcorn
Aspirant

Thanks for the first step. I downloaded the file and when I unzipped it, I got a .bin file. I'm using Windows 11 and don't know what's next. Can you help?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you still have access to the modems web page, send the .bin file to the modems web page under Admin/Router Update using a wired PC and web browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 4 of 9
oskcorn
Aspirant

As my luck would have it, I logged into my modem page that opened up in the basic tab. When I click on advanced, it asks me to login again. When I do, it says I am logged in from another device and wants to know if it/they would log me out of this other device (I am not logged in elsewhere). I selected to logout of this other location, and I'm again asked to login. It is an endless loop. PLAN C?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What does selecting OK do? 

Try powering Off the modem for 1 minute then back ON then log in with a wired PC.

Clear all browser caches before entering the web page...

Try a different browser.

Message 6 of 9
oskcorn
Aspirant

FINALLY! SUCCESS! The last steps were to use Chrome instead of Edge, and because the modem connection came up unsecured, I needed to bypass the warning to get the chance to upload the old version to the router. After that, I had to reset the network at the destinations. CAUTION: Those still using the modem to hardwire to their PC, based on my experience of getting unsecured connections, it seems the firmware problem may have also affected the security of the modem in addition to the Wi-Fi. Thank you for your patience and knowledge. BTW, I used to write software using BAL on the IBM 370 series under POWER. De-bugging software was so much easier. Plenty of logic, but not much useful knowledge today. LOL

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7