Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inbound port mapping with CM2050V

apenzott
Aspirant

Inbound port mapping with CM2050V

I have recently installed a Netgear CM2050V and the previous modem/router had the ability to allow for inbound mapping of ports from the WAN interface (on its public IP address) and route them to a chosen internal address.

I have explored the admin menu on the CM2050V at length and I don't see options to:

o Display the (Xfinity) assigned public IPv4/IPv6 address of the cable modem.

o Display/modify the internal IP address/subnet on the private facing Ethernet interface.

o Display/create/modify for inbound port mapping from public IP address to chosen internal (private) IP address.

Occasionally I will need to allow for inbound access to trusted parties to certain devices on my home network for extended diagnostics and troubleshooting, and am unable to do so with this new product.

I may need to revert to the old cable modem setup in order to preserve this access.

Example:

Internet ---> (ssh) Cable Modem (Public IP)/ Cable Modem (CM Private IP GW)  --> (ssh) Router (CM Private)/ Router (Private IP GW) --> (ssh) End Device (Private IP)

Please advise.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
apenzott
Aspirant

Re: Inbound port mapping with CM2050V

I stand corrected.

HW version 1.01 Firmware Version V2.01.03

It turns out that during the on-boarding process of the CM2050V with Comcast started with the workstation being handed out (via DHCP)  a private address within the 192.168.100.x network.

Once the circuit has settled, I was eventually handed a public IP address of 76.103.xxx.xxx without having to deal with NAT issues from the cable modem.

Interestingly the CM2050V will now take anything from the above (originating) assigned public IP address directed to 192.168.100.1 and intercept it for a web admin console on the cable modem to show circuit status.

All is good.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

The CM2050V is a modem only.  It does not have any capability as a router.

What device, hopefully a router, do you have connected downstream from your CM2050V?

The options you are looking for are part of the configuration for a router, not a modem.

Message 2 of 4
apenzott
Aspirant

I stand corrected.

HW version 1.01 Firmware Version V2.01.03

It turns out that during the on-boarding process of the CM2050V with Comcast started with the workstation being handed out (via DHCP)  a private address within the 192.168.100.x network.

Once the circuit has settled, I was eventually handed a public IP address of 76.103.xxx.xxx without having to deal with NAT issues from the cable modem.

Interestingly the CM2050V will now take anything from the above (originating) assigned public IP address directed to 192.168.100.1 and intercept it for a web admin console on the cable modem to show circuit status.

All is good.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The 192.168.100.1 is a static IP address for ALL CM series modems so when a device or external router is connected to the modem, users can access the modems web page with out being in any conflict with external routers. Is is only a address for the modems web page. No router on CM series modems. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7