Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue With My Netgear CM500 Modem

Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

Issue With My Netgear CM500 Modem

Hi, I've been having a huge issue with my modem for a year. Every night at around 8 - 11pm EST or on random parts of the day, my internet connection suddenly cuts out for 20 seconds. I managed to get the event log and the Upstream/Downstream Channels for my modem, but I do not understand it. One code I always get is a T3 Timeout that says "Unicast Ranging Recieved Abort Response..." If someone could help me what the issue is between my modem, that would be greatly appreciated.

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

Re: Issue With My Netgear CM500 Modem

Here's the other photo

Message 2 of 15
plemans
Guru

1 of your channels has a horrible signal with a bunch of errors in it. 1 channel isn't locking at all.  Usually means something isn't set right or has interference.

A couple things you can do prior to having your isp check your line.

1. remove all splitters, amplifiers, elbows from the coax line.

2. Check all the connectors for damage, corrosion. Also look for potential spots where water could have gotten in the line. Moisture in a coax wire can create havoc

3. Move the modem to right where the coax comes into the house. this reduces the chance that its something within your house causing the issue.

4. contact your isp to check the line. many ISPs charge you if the problem is within your house. If you can reduce the chances of that (see prior suggestions) and are still having the issue, it gets the problem down to either the isp's line or potentially the modem. 

Message 3 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

When you mean “Horrible signal/not locking” what does it mean specifically within those signals?(sorry I’m not too much of a tech guy myself but I would like to know where those signals connect) Also, I’m going to check my splitter or coaxial cables in a couple hours. Looked at almost everything but the actual splitters
Message 4 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

So I fixed up my coax wire on the splitter I have and now my channels look a lot different. Is there a different problem with the coax now?

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you remove the splitter all together and see how it does? 

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

In both your images, channels 8 and 9 had the issues. The second was actually worse as there was more uncorrectables across the spectrum.  I'd do like @FURRYe38 says and remove the splitter if possible. If you're still having all the errors, have your isp check your line. 

Message 7 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

It might take me a day to get rid of the splitter. But if my modem works without the splitter, what does it mean for my current splitter? Do I have to get a new one or get rid of using a splitter? I currently have 2 tv cable boxes and a modem and if I don’t have a splitter, what should I do to connect them all with a secure connection?
Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

So basically we're trying to determine what is causing the issue. If you remove the splitter and the issue resolves, then a new splitter might be needed.  If you add a new splitter and the issue returns then its probably the signal coming in. Reason why is a 2x splitter typically reduces your signal strength by -3.5dB.  

We're not saying you'll have to leave it out permanantly but for troubleshooting its a good idea. The more variables you can remove from a problem the easier it is to figure out where its coming from. 

Message 9 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

So I have removed my splitter, and this is what all of my channels look like now. Should it be good at the moment or are there still problems?

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

I would run it for a bit. See how stable it is.
Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the splitter seems to be the cause and you need coax cable services from the ISP service box to other places in the home, as the ISP or TV services company to make a dedicated coax line for those other services so you can maintain a dedicated coax cable line for the ISP modem. 

@Abdurahmanbana wrote:
It might take me a day to get rid of the splitter. But if my modem works without the splitter, what does it mean for my current splitter? Do I have to get a new one or get rid of using a splitter? I currently have 2 tv cable boxes and a modem and if I don’t have a splitter, what should I do to connect them all with a secure connection?

Message 12 of 15
Abdurahmanbana
Aspirant

Sowhen I was removing my splitter, I had multiple corretables and uncorrectables. So I put back the splitter and tightened all the cables. After, all my channels were locked and I had little correctables(Like the one I sent earlier). Wifi preformance looked good but I still recieved T3 and T4 timeouts like this. Does this mean I have to get a technician?

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

@Abdurahmanbana wrote:

Sowhen I was removing my splitter, I had multiple corretables and uncorrectables. So I put back the splitter and tightened all the cables. After, all my channels were locked and I had little correctables(Like the one I sent earlier). Wifi preformance looked good but I still recieved T3 and T4 timeouts like this. Does this mean I have to get a technician?

I would base if off your performance. If everything is functioning as it should, aka no dropped connections, slowed speeds, and its working fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. if you continue to get slowed speeds, drops, having issues, then I'd look at having the line checked or checking your router to see if that's where the issues are stemming from. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would talk to your ISP about these T3 and T4 timeouts to see if they are something they need to review or send a Tech out to check. 

@Abdurahmanbana wrote:

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7