Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model GS105 Only one device will access the internet through the switch

Holton
Aspirant

Model GS105 Only one device will access the internet through the switch

Hi. 

I have a modem located in my garage and a number of cables wired out to various points / devices in my house. The configeration is...

Modem to switch ( Netgear GS105), switch - 1x port to TV, 1 x port to Playstation and 1 x Port to wifi router.  I was hoping the switch would give internet access to various devices, however I can only get access to 1 device? Looking at various diagrams and on the packaging, it suggust this would work. I am now thinking that I have mis understood how and where a switch should be installed. Can someone please give me some guidence. Many Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Model GS105 Only one device will access the internet through the switch

Switch is not a splitter . Why? Modem can't perform DHCP. Each device needs own ip addresses. You should position switch between router and devices. Like this modem >> router >> switch >> devices

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You need a router.  Does your modem have a router?  If so, then it should work.  If it doesn't, then you need to buy one.  You can plug your switch into the router if you need the extra ports.

Message 2 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Switch is not a splitter . Why? Modem can't perform DHCP. Each device needs own ip addresses. You should position switch between router and devices. Like this modem >> router >> switch >> devices

Message 3 of 5
Holton
Aspirant

Thanks. So I need to buy an additional router and position before the switch. I see routers normally come with  4 ports, so as I have less than 4 devices, Im not going to need the switch.

Message 4 of 5
Holton
Aspirant

Great. Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements