Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N450 Ping Spikes, wired and wireless, online gaming impossible

Arbil
Initiate

N450 Ping Spikes, wired and wireless, online gaming impossible

I found this older thread and his solution worked, turning off plex.  But, I am not happy with that and I know the problem is with my N450 hardware and not the fault of plex.  I used to have a separate mortorola surfboard modem and linksys router and did not have this problem.  Those are the only things in my setup I changed.  Changed them to the N450 and now I cannot game online(on any platform, PC, Xbox, PS4, all get ping spikes) while plex server is running on my PC.  Is there anything in my N450 settings that I could do to possibly fix this?  I didn't have to open any ports for plex or anything like that with my old networking hardware but maybe the N450 needs something like that?  I have tried disabling DLNA on my plex server but the issue persists even with that turned off.  IDK.  I would like to be able to keep my media server running and game online, if that is beyond the capability of this N450 I am severely disappointed in my choice to swtich to Netgear hardware.  Any help or responses will be appreciated.  Thanks all.

TL;DR: When plex media server is running and I ping the N450, it consistently gets ping spikes anywhere from 300-2000ms pretty consistenly every 15 seconds or so, making online gaming on any of my platforms, wired and wireless, impossible.  This did not happen with my old networking hardware, a separate modem and router.  Nothing else has changed in my setup.

Model: N450 (CG3000Dv2)|N450 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Arbil
Initiate

Re: N450 Ping Spikes, wired and wireless, online gaming impossible

Well, it seems as though the Netgear forums are about as useful as the hardware itself.  I will be returning my N450 and will steer anyone who asks away from Netgear products in the future.  Linksys for life.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Arbil
Initiate

Re: N450 Ping Spikes, wired and wireless, online gaming impossible

Well, it seems as though the Netgear forums are about as useful as the hardware itself.  I will be returning my N450 and will steer anyone who asks away from Netgear products in the future.  Linksys for life.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7