Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Modem not fully responding to Comcast signal

rlasalle50
Aspirant

NETGEAR Modem not fully responding to Comcast signal

Equipment: NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Voice Cable Modem

I recently moved and had Comcast activate my internet and TV services. I was using this modem, paired with the Nighthawk XR500 router at my old apartment, and everything worked perfectly. I ended up having a Comcast Xfinity technician come to help set up everything.

However, the modem was receiving signals from the coaxial input, but would not distribute any internet to my router. The only success we had was by connecting an ethernet from the modem to a laptop and we could surf the web just fine.

I tried connecting from the modem to a gaming system using ethernet, but it would not work.

The technician that came to my home spoke with another technician on the phone and they still could not figure it out. 

They ended up setting up an Xfinity modem-router combo just so I could have internet, and said to get a new modem if I wanted.

Does anyone have any ideas? Firmware update? It is just odd because it was all working at my old apartment a week ago, but not at my new house.

My XR500 router does work with the Xfinity modem-router combo.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Modem not fully responding to Comcast signal

Which model modem do you have? C or CM series? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311

Message 2 of 4
rlasalle50
Aspirant

It is a CM series. 

I am not home and the modem isn't being used right now, I can do that all later.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The modem will need to be online before you go collect the connections status page information...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7