Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear C7000 V2 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

corvairbob
Tutor

Netgear C7000 V2 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

i have the c3700 combo unit and the last week or so i keep getting your connection is not private this site is not safe. i deleted norton security, deleted the chrome browser and put it back. i then reset the chrome browser and then deleted it and installed it again. i still get that message. the only things left is the modem the pc and the windows program. so the modem has been giving me fits by telling me i need to reactivate it on comcast. well i spent 3 hours last night going thru that and comcast tole me they see the modem and then they do not. so that is going bad. but i'm looking at this one. Netgear C7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router. and they say it is the old unit, so what is the difference between the old unit and the new unit? is it just a firmware update or a complete new device? after i get a new unit and if i still have this error message then it is time for formatting the hard drive and reinstalling window. i didn't have any issues until last week when i had to do a reset on the pc after i got locked out because the fingerprint scanner setup failed and locked me out. i have been dealing with norton on this but now with norton gone and resetting chrome i'm leaning to the modem. i checked the log but i do not see anything there but errors on it connecting to my cameras. thanks
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear C7000 V2 Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router

You might want to look in to a C7800 modem router. The 7000 series is getting older and not as good as the 7800 series. 

Message 2 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks but i have to get what i can afford.

for some reason the c3700 now half the time i get an error that tells me to go to xfinity and reset the modem. then i go there and i get a message that says they can't find my device. but i'm online so it has to be working.

i spent 3 hours wednesday with comcast help and they said they see it then they do not see it. so either somethingis going on with the modem or the tap on the pole. but because the c3700 is so old now i figure i will get anewer one that i can afford.

so the newest one i can afford seems to settle in on the c7000 unit.  or the motorolla mg7500 but this is not the motorolla site so i do not talk about that one.

at this time i have my pc online and i keep getting this site is not safe. and that is not alway true as i can go back to one of them later and it is ok. so i turned on the chrombook and that tells me my modem in not connected to the internet. but i'm here now sending this reply out. so there is an issue going on with the modem at least. here is a snip of the log just now and the errors it shows. if it gets inserted

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Sounds like the 3700 is becoming faulty and needs replaced. If your ISP supports the C7000 then try it. Get it from a place with a good refund policy. So if it doesn't work out, you can return it. 

You might consider going with separate modem and router units as well. 

Message 4 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. spent 3 hours wednesday doing that and the c3700 was on and off all the time but i was online.
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. i have 1 splitter at the end of a single line from the pole to that splitter, and they put that there for the signal to go to the cable box. that is normal.
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. the line from the pole is what the cable company installed. it is a bit heavier from the pole to the lighting ground lug, then from that lug to the modem in a one pc cable.

Sounds like the 3700 is becoming faulty and needs replaced. If your ISP supports the C7000 then try it. Get it from a place with a good refund policy. So if it doesn't work out, you can return it. yes i'm now asking sellers if they will allow a return and refund if i get one of the c7000 units and comcast just can't get it to connect.  they told me they have these units in my area, so i'm hopful noe will work

You might consider going with separate modem and router units as well. i tried that and i do have a motorola unit that is a modem only with a c6300 router, but my cameras just do not like that setup. i tried to install it on the c3700 unit and i could not get the r6300 router just would not hook up to it. my soninlaw is an it tech at a big company in grand rapids mi. and he tried for a few hours and told me it was not going to connect up to the c3700 combo. he tried both c3700 modems and neither would hook up. then he tried the motorola and it connected but comcast did not like the modem. so i'm up s/c without the paddel on that. also i spent days on this site getting help setting them up and nothing wroked. so that is why i want a combo, at least with that i have one device to mess with.

and i agree the c3700 is getting bad to the point of failure. as soon as i get another unit all the old one i have now go to the recycler or trash.  then is the c7000 does work i will get a second unit for a spare. thanks

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with the C7000 modem.

Message 6 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i got the c7000 100nas  nighthawk combo yesterday. it took an hour to get it going, turns out these mus have the previous owners info in them as comcast tried maybe 15 tiimes sending the reset signal and it just did not stay connected. so then i told them this was the 3rd c7000 i have tried to setup on comcast, and that comcast show them to be a good unit for there service. so i told him the other 2 were used and maybe that is why they were on ebay for sale. and i got this one and it was advertised as new in the box. so that sparked him to check and sure enough this new one was setup on someone elses account, and pushing the reset button does not take that out of the modem.

so i deleted it from that other persons account and then it worked for me. go figure. it started out slow for download at 50 mbps and today it is going to 100 then slows down som to 80 mbps, maybe later it will pick up. 

i'm not getting all those errors telling me this site is not safe now, lets see if it keeps going?  also the old modem did ot let my magic jack phone connect to the internet and mose of my other devices, now it looks like avertything but for 1 tablet is connecting.

but can anyone tell me why this unit which is listed as 24 downstream and 8 upstream shows 24 downstream channels and only 1 upstream? the c3700 dit the same thing but only 8 downstream and 4 upstream with 1 upstream working.  

also in the advance setting section do i leave that box unchecked that says disable port scan and dos protection?  in the c3700 it was checked and on the c7000 it is not. 

plus i see a lot of this is the log    DoS attack: TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan] from 75.75.76.76, port 53

and in the event log i see tons of this? i figured the old unit was bad and this was normal but this is said to be new and it is still there.

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=a0:40:a0:39:76:b0;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:71:3e:5b;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

but outside of these things are looking better now. thanks

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The ISP can tell you why your Upstream is only 1. They should know. Due to speed tier is maybe that the ISP only has a need for 1 Upstream. I presume if your speed tier was much higher on the UP, then the ISP and your modem would see higher upstreams. 

Yes, used modems even though not connected to an ISP, the ISP still can keep the association of the modem of the prior owner. Sometimes ISPs won't clear this out unless the prior owner tells them to which I presume they don't. Glad the new modem is working well now.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

must be only the newer ones? i have 3 older units and none of them had this connection issues. so then if what you telling me is so, then most of the modems you see on ebay or amazon may be in the same boat. the isp may not connect them up if they do not want to. this guy almost did not want to but then he finally found that the modem i got was at one time on comcast and he cleared it for me to use.

i did have the comcast tech tell me they do not connect up there modems to other accounts unless the other owners are on the phone and consent to it. so there is something to that. 

also because i have 5 mbps upstream that may be why only 1 channel connected up them. thanks

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if you had a 50Mbps upstream, then you'd see more channels being used. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks and that makes perfect sence.

so does anyone know why now my speed is so much slower? with the failing modem it was 100 + mbps most all the time. now it is 30 to 80 mbps most of the time, this morning i though it was good to go at 100 mbps then all of a sudden it is back down to 30 mbps.  i'm suppose to have the 100 mbps speed. jsut wondering why that is with tis new c7000 modem that is said to have so much going for it. if this si what i can expect then i will look for another c3700 unit as that was steady at the 100 mbps. this one still has all the critical erros the old on had so i did not gain in that area. just curious if this was really worth it. thanks

Message 11 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

so i asked here before but did not get much for an answer yet, so i will ask again in this current post.

does anyone hve an idea why my new c7000 modem is so much slower that the older c3700 modem? even when the old c3700 was failing i got at least 100mbps for speed. now i have this new one connected up and if i reboot it i get up to 100mbps but after about an hour it drops down to maybe 30mbps if i'm lucky.  i still have all the same events going on as i did with the old one, so i can't believe those are making this new unit slower than the old unit.

i have done all the trouble shooting i can do on my end for correcting this from home. so tell me does having all those errors on the event log make this new unit react more to the speed than the older unit? if the new c7000 reacts more to those errors then i believe i would be better off going back th the c3700 model, that one was a steady 100mbps all day long and up until last week when it got fried by a spike that got thru the surge power strip. but the c7000 has not preformed as i expected at all so far. i don't care if it get these errors as i can't fix them myself but i had them before without issues.

anyone happen to know if that is causing the c7000 to behave this way? thanks

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 12 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

i guess now one want to venture a guess on this question.

so i'm leaning to this c7000 is not as good as the c3700 modem. it may be the c7000 has more bells as whistles but for speed i have to say the one i got is dragging a chain.  i have another c3700 new in the box i'm looking at getting, and if i do i will install it and see then if i just got lucky with the 2 c3700 modems i had before with the speed they had and they always showed when i tested them.

this is the second c7000 i have had online the 1st one would not stay online at all but when it was online it was slow as well, i fifgure it was because it could not stay online, so i took another chance baised on feeback from other owners. but for me it is proving to be a so so unit. 

i did get it to stay online but not super happey with the speedtest.net speed ratings.  this one has a hard time keeping 30mbps. the old c3700 held 100mbps and more every single time i tested it.  they both did well on xfinity test stie but the c3700 even did better there. on sfinity the c3700 got 120mbps ever tiem the c7000 gets to 80mbps so it is eslow on that site.  thanks.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You mgiht compare the spec sheets for each of these model modems and see what they have. You can download the data spec sheets from NG support site. 

Message 14 of 16
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i did a comparision on the netgear website and the c7000 was way better in the specs but i'm not yet impressed. but i will wait some and see if by chance it improves. you never know it may be something form the isp that is slowing it down as well. even now it is at 43mbps. not a good record for a unit that claims to be 1900 available download speed. yea i know it olny gets what the isp gives me but i pay for 100 i shoud get 100, i did on the older unit. but i will give a few weeks. thanks for the help.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements