Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network switch not working with Modem/Router

Timothyah2
Guide

Network switch not working with Modem/Router

Hello,

I recently attempted to install a network switch on my Netgear modem/router. My house is pre-wired so it was an easy plug and play. I had to dismount an TV to connect to ethernet and initially when I plug everything up it was working fine. Now my modem/router recognizes that something is plug into the Ethernet port (the number 2 port is lit and flashing) but my devices connected to the switch so not have internet. Furthermore, initially (when things were working) I could see the switch in my nighthawk app under devices. Now I dont see a hard wired device at all. I am confused because visually the router recognizes that something is plugged in but the nighthawk app doesn’t and I think this is why I am not getting an internet connection to the switch. Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening? Thanks!
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Network switch not working with Modem/Router

1. AX6000 is a speed, not a model. Do you have the CAX80? 

2. did you try other ports on the router? 

3. some devices are more picking with sketchy cables. If you move the switch to right next to the router and connect it with a good quality cable, does it work? 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Timothyah2
Guide

I forgot to add I have a AX6000 modem router combo and a tp link simple 5 port switch.
Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. AX6000 is a speed, not a model. Do you have the CAX80? 

2. did you try other ports on the router? 

3. some devices are more picking with sketchy cables. If you move the switch to right next to the router and connect it with a good quality cable, does it work? 

Message 3 of 6
Timothyah2
Guide

Hey sorry for the confusion. Yes I have the CAX80. I did What you recommended and moved the switch next to the router and it worked so I’m assuming the cable may be bad. Thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

It might not be the cable itself but just the ends. I've had to redo ends before for sketchy connections. 

Message 5 of 6
Timothyah2
Guide

Thanks I may try that first. I kind of want to replace the cable if possible because it’s Cat 5e instead of Cat 6 so I dont think I’ll get the speed I’m looking for
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7