Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.4.2 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.4.2 Released

New Features and Enhancements:

• Stability Improvements

Recommended to help prevent any modem bricking's.

Download Link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CAX80.aspx#download

NOTE: For any users that were on the CAX80 beta project. DO NOT LOAD THIS VERSION FW!!!

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

NOTE: This upgrade is for the ROUTER portion of the CAX only. Modem portion Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

This article applies to:

Message 1 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

Re: New - CAX80 Firmware Version 2.1.4.2 Released

Arrgggg!... It took me a while to get my CAX80 stable. It was running without issues for about 3 months. Last night Netgear PUSHED! this firmware update and now I have to re-authenticate to the router when it reboots. NOT CONVENIENT IF YOU ARE NOT AT HOME!!! The router should re-start itself with the existing configuration without assistance. After a reboot, a power cycle and a firmware update.

Now after saving a new configuration with 2.1.4.2 and using it to restore the router... the LAN reservations and device names are lost. It's like they're not being saved to the configuration file. Yes, I have factory reset the router using the reset button in the back, using the Revert to factory settings "Erase" button on the GUI and using the  NVRAM Reset/Factory Reset process. And reconfigured from SCRATCH.

Why was the option to disable automatic firmware updates removed? - If I can not get it to be stable again, I will try to find the time to research for a non-Netgear replacement. I'm likely going back to a separate (Combo) Modem and Router solution. The CAX80 is a flawed integrated solution if you happen to be away when a power failure, reboot or firmware update happens.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good combo solution (I'm using Spectrum as an ISP), please let me know.

Message 2 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What does it mean "I have to re-authenticate to the router when it reboots."

I recommend doing a full on factory reset and setup from scratch then save off a new backup configuration to file.

Message 3 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

"What does it mean "I have to re-authenticate to the router when it reboots."

RE-ENTER CREDENTIALS -> User ID, Password then Answer two questionnaire question and Continue. After the router reboots due to: Power Cycle, Reboot via GUI or FIRMWARE UPDATE!

"I recommend doing a full on factory reset and setup from scratch then save off a new backup configuration to file."

I did it in 3 ways multiple times as I mentioned in my post.

"Yes, I have factory reset the router using the reset button in the back, using the Revert to factory settings "Erase" button on the GUI and using the NVRAM Reset/Factory Reset process. And reconfigured from SCRATCH."

Message 4 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

So your CAX 80 after doing the reset and setup from scratch and saving off a config file is losing the config if it's rebooted, power cycle or FW update? 

Is this the first time this is happening or has this been a on going problem? 

Let me reach out to NG on this. 

@tamanaco wrote:

"What does it mean "I have to re-authenticate to the router when it reboots."

RE-ENTER CREDENTIALS -> User ID, Password then Answer two questionnaire question and Continue. After the router reboots due to: Power Cycle, Reboot via GUI or FIRMWARE UPDATE!

"I recommend doing a full on factory reset and setup from scratch then save off a new backup configuration to file."

I did it in 3 ways multiple times as I mentioned in my post.

"Yes, I have factory reset the router using the reset button in the back, using the Revert to factory settings "Erase" button on the GUI and using the NVRAM Reset/Factory Reset process. And reconfigured from SCRATCH."

Message 5 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

"So your CAX 80 after doing the reset and setup from scratch and saving off a config file is losing the config if it's rebooted, power cycle or FW update?"

EXACTLY! - Some the configuration remains, like wireless setup, after one re-authenticates after a restart, but all the IP address reservations and device names that I have entered before are gone. If I restore the file I just saved using 2.1.4.2 (PRIOR TO THE RESTART) with all of my changes... the restoration process does not restore the IP reservation list or Device Names with their respective Icons

Message 6 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

Things have gone from bad to worse after this firmware update. Now my wireless network is not working. The router is broadcasting the SSIDs, but the clients can not connect to either radio. No matter how I try to reset the router the WiFi configuration of the radios remains. Is like the router is never factory reset. I tried holding the reset button in the back for ~30 Sec, I try using the GUI Revert to Factory Settings "Erase" button and I also tried using the NVRAM reset ... 30 sec while on... 30 seconds while off and 30 seconds while restarting.. but no dice. (90 sec total with the reset button pressed) Those wireless devices that somehow now manage to connect via WiFi are listed as wired under attached devices. The two devices underlined in red and listed as wired are Chromecasts dongles (MACs not listed, but I verified them). I also tried re-flashing this current new version and the previous 2.1.3.7 firmware version, but no matter what I try nothing seems to fix the wireless problem now.

Earlier today after the update I had to restart all my wireless devices for them to re-connect. This was never the case before. They always reconnected by themselves after the router restarted. Something is not Kosher here. This update has ruined my router and I wasted a whole day trying to fix it. What now?... Can the developers send me a newer/beta firmware that I can try? Any other suggestions?

tamanaco_0-1663736145928.png

Message 7 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

UPDATE: Last night after resetting the CAX80 via the reset button in the back ~10 times using different time intervals while power cycling it, I finally got the wireless network to kick-start... BUT the WiFi settings: SSIDs and Passwords and the such remain the same since the first time I set it up. I have found no way to reset the WiFi settings with this firmware.

Also, I just noticed that the Web GUI is currently stuck in the hour glass. I can select options in the left panel, but just get the hour glass on the right.

UPDATE 2: NEVER MIND!... Once the GUI gets stuck the router stops responding and all wired and wireless connections are lost.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE SURE THAT THE ROUTER IS "FULLY" RESET TO IS FACTORY SETTING? Who knows, maybe I'm not doing it right.

Message 8 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

10-15 second press on the reset button should be enough to clear out and get a full reset. 

Be sure your also clear your browser cache as well before re-entering the modems web page at 192.168.1.1. 

Do you get the setup wizard here after you reset? You should see the nighthawk app suggestion web page then the link at the bottom to select if you don't have a mobile device to setup the modem with. Use this to set up the modem with a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 9 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

"10-15 second press on the reset button should be enough to clear out and get a full reset"

I have tried short 10-15 sec and longer intervals. The result is the same. The router reboots, but the old WiFi settings remain.

"Be sure your also clear your browser cache as well before re-entering the modems web page at 192.168.1.1.

I have done this using and also used different routers Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

Do you get the setup wizard here after you reset? You should see the nighthawk app suggestion web page then the link at the bottom to select if you don't have a mobile device to setup the modem with. Use this to set up the modem with a wired PC and web browser."

Since this update I always get the "Setup Wizard" regardless of the reason for the restart (This is what I've been calling the need for Re-Authentication via a Web Browser every time the router reboots. I have to enter the password, answer two questions, click next to the WiFi setting which remain unchanged (weather I reset the router or just reboot) and then get rid of the Pop up with the Armor something or other offer. Very annoying.

I have left the router alone after the last reboot. If I interface with it via the Web Browser GUI I run the risk of having the GUI hang with the hour glass and then a subsequent router freeze. Sometimes only the Wired devices are able to connect. I have made no attempts to change any setting, but I'm sure the devices names, icons and IP addresses reservations are gone. Some of the devices that I ping on predetermine IP addresses are currently using a randomly assigned IP addresses.

I will probably leave it alone for a while as I have to go to work and probably won't get a chance again to work on it until the weekend. I already started my search for separated component solution (Modem + Router) rather than an integrated solution like the CAX80 which has been a nightmare starting with the fact that it reboots when it losses ISP connection. I need to maintain a working LAN even if no Internet signal is available. I have a NAS, printer and local streaming devices which I need to access to even when no Internet is available. Currently leaning on getting a Motorola MB8611 Modem and an ASUS RT-AX86U Router if this issue is not resolved soon. I take any other recommendation for a Modem/Router combo for Spectrum that anyone cares to give.

Message 10 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like something is faulty on this modem. Let me check on this. 

Message 11 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

@tamanaco Please send @DarrenM a private message with your contact information. Lets see if we can get you an RMA. 
This modem is in some bad state and needs to go back to NG. Ask about a cross shipping RMA if you don't have a spare modem to use. 

Message 12 of 39
tamanaco
Apprentice

OK... thanks. I'm about to message him. Hopefully, I will get a positive response. A cross RMA is exactly what I need, I don't have an spare modem or router.

Message 13 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

There waiting on ya. 😉

Message 14 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

@tamanaco Keep us posted on how this turns out. You should see some movement on this. 

Message 15 of 39
My_Username
Guide

@FURRYe38 

I am curious about the rationale for your statement:

NOTE: For any users that were on the CAX80 beta project. DO NOT LOAD THIS VERSION FW!!!

This is an honest fact finding mission as opposed to any argument or such. I also noticed an earlier note from you that stated firmware upgrade capability may be compromised by the engineering or beta release.

My system may be unusual in that an RPi running Pihole serves as my local DHCP server. The RPi is also running Unbound, serving as my DNS server. Any issues related to those functions would almost certainly be different on my system.

All of that said, when I noticed the official 2.1.4.2 release on the Netgear site I decided to load that in hope that something may have improved since the engineering release. The CAX80 web interface indicated that no update was available. I just assumed that was because the version numbers were the same and the Netgear firmware didn't know what to make of the engineering suffix.

So - I downloaded 2.1.4.2 from Netgear and pointed the firmware update utility in the web interface to the file and it loaded.

All is well. I haven't seen anything at all out of the ordinary. In fact Comcast must have solved some issues while I was out camping as I am finally warning free on the connection and getting the data rates I am paying for.

Curious what the issue you have seen was? Is my house going to spontaneously combust tomorrow? Well - it may but it would be more likely due to the generator lockout being wired in.

Anyhoo - what issue did you see?

Message 16 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

If you bought your CAX from a retail outlet or direct from NG, then you can proceed to update if you want too. NG found a problem with early beta units that some of us got that were using older boot code which wasn't included with newer version of FW thus caused the FW partition to be come read only. We could not upgrade or downgrade FW. This only effects users with these early beta units. Otherwise, all other units seen in retail production are not effected. The notice is for beta units that some users may have. They know who they are. 

Message 17 of 39
Sabbah13
Aspirant

I had exactly the same problem with my CAX80 but now it even worse. It's bricked by the latest firmware.

My router also reset all the configuration after power loss or even rebooting from the GUI. Then NG support engineer advised me to manually update my router to 2.1.4.2 and now I have it cycling in an infinite sequence of blinking LEDs.

I tried to upload the firmware via TFTP according to this article but the power LED never turns orange as it stated in the article.

Can somebody help me to figure out what to do?

It is unacceptable that Netgear publishes such a raw and glitchy firmware as "stable"!

Message 18 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Coax cable still connected to the modem when this reboot is happening? 

What browser did you use to push the FW file? 

If a reset of the modem with out the coax connected, then reconnect it after a few minutes doesn't bring the modem back to recovered, re-contact NG support or whom ever contacted you and let them know what happened. Nothing else we can do here in the forums. 

Message 19 of 39
Sabbah13
Aspirant

Hey everyone,

So as I see, I'm also one of many victims of Netgear's incompetency and ignoring.

I bought my router from a reseller on Amazon for about $350 this April 2022 and thought that it's going to be a great long term investment but now it is bricked by the latest firmware version 2.1.4.2. And of course, Netgear told me that my case is not covered with a warranty.

Initially I had an issue with the router that the configuration was reset after every reboot. I had VPN configured and it was annoying to setup it again after every power loss. I opened a support case and the engineer advised me to manually update the firmware to the latest version. After the update the router stopped working at all.

The router is doing the following LED sequence after power on:

1. All LEDs are on for a second

1. 1,2,3,4 LEDs are on for 10 seconds

2. Only Power LED is lit for 30 seconds (for 10 seconds router becomes available via Ethernet but doesn't respond on TFTP requests)

3. Power LED is on and three upper LEDs under the Power LED are blinking for 50 seconds

4. Power LED is on and the second LED with lightning down arrow is blinking for 160 seconds

Then all the sequence repeats.

Maybe there is a chance to restore the router as this behaviour is slightly different from those I've seen on the forum.

Any ideas?

Message 20 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Coax cable still connected to the modem when this reboot is happening? 

Can you access the modems web page at atl? 

What browser did you use to push the FW file? 

If a reset of the modem with out the coax connected, then reconnect it after a few minutes doesn't bring the modem back to recovered, re-contact NG support or whom ever contacted you and let them know what happened. Nothing else we can do here in the forums. 

Message 21 of 39
Sabbah13
Aspirant

- Coax cable isn't connected

- Web page is not accessible

- Google Chrome Version 104.0.5112.101 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Message 22 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

So what happens if you connect the ISP coax cable? 

Message 23 of 39
Sabbah13
Aspirant

It's the same except the following - now after lightning down arrow blinked other LEDs below is also blinking consequentially like kind of progress bar. But then it reboots again and the pattern repeats.

Message 24 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Please send @DarrenM a PM with the following info seen here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/NOTICE-Users-with-sudden-non-functioning-CAX80...

Or make contact with NG support again whom you talked to before.

Message 25 of 39
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7