Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nightawk X4S D7800 Performance Issues

Peter_Fiddes
Aspirant

Nightawk X4S D7800 Performance Issues

Has anyone else used a nighthawk X4S D7800 (one with modem) and had performance issues?
I bought to replace a Home Hub 4 - put it in the same place, phone cable to the VDSL connection on the router and eventually got it working (once I googled the BT connection requirements).

Note for all the below, I live in a small bungalow, living room is 1 room over from the computer / dining room.

However the performance was shocking (used the netgear wifi analyser app as directed by Netgear instructions).

• 5GHz only worked in the room with the router.
  • 5GHz got 50% signal when only a couple inches from the router itself.
  • Best rate was 20Mbps on 5GHz (not the 1733 Mbps advertised)

• 2.4GHz signal was ok, but no where near as good as HH4.
  • Wouldn't let my Roku box connect at all.
  • Topped out at about 30Mbps - 50% more than the 5GHz one anyway. (still not even close to the 800 Mbps advertised)

To try and resolve this I tried the following:

1. Moving the router (which I didnt want to do) which was difficult due to the wired connections needed. Power cable is stupidly short and all the connections are on the top of the device.
  2. Moving the antenna to about 10 different layouts including the netgear recomended all vertical.
  3. Changing Wifi Channels (only 1 other network in immediate range... 2 tops, and on a different channel all together)
  4. Changing the maximum transfer rates (downwards)
  5. Diasbaling all other services QoS - just incase
  6. Finally changing region from Europe to Asia just to check.

None of the above had any noticeable effect.

I have put this down to a deffective item and thinking about returning to seller (amazon) to either refund or replace.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this router or the R7800? Was there any solution or tips anyone can suggest?

I really want to like the router but I felt like I was back in the dark ages with the performance.

Note: Due to the horrendous performance I have went back to the HH4, literally, plugged in and everything works... its like magic honestly.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Nightawk X4S D7800 Performance Issues

Did you upgrade the firmware on the router? If you haven't upgrade the firmware. When completed reset to factory default and re-configure. In general, router modem combo's kind of suck, as you are dealing with two different piece's of firmware. One can affect the other, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

• Best rate was 20Mbps on 5GHz (not the 1733 Mbps advertised) - pick a higher channel (don't leave at auto) - unless you have a .AC wireless client, you won't get close to the 1733Mbps. (typically total .AC connected devices throughput) Maybe 400Mbps throughput, unless you own a Mac Air. .N client throughput around 150Mbps.
  • 2.4GHz signal was ok, but no where near as good as HH4. - pick a channel (1,6,or 11). Don't leave at auto . Ensure WMM is enabled.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Did you upgrade the firmware on the router? If you haven't upgrade the firmware. When completed reset to factory default and re-configure. In general, router modem combo's kind of suck, as you are dealing with two different piece's of firmware. One can affect the other, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

• Best rate was 20Mbps on 5GHz (not the 1733 Mbps advertised) - pick a higher channel (don't leave at auto) - unless you have a .AC wireless client, you won't get close to the 1733Mbps. (typically total .AC connected devices throughput) Maybe 400Mbps throughput, unless you own a Mac Air. .N client throughput around 150Mbps.
  • 2.4GHz signal was ok, but no where near as good as HH4. - pick a channel (1,6,or 11). Don't leave at auto . Ensure WMM is enabled.
Message 2 of 3
Peter_Fiddes
Aspirant

Thanks netwrks, so I had updated the firmware but not done the reset. Netgear should give a full guide with their products, for those occasions when you can't get online to get it ... like when changing a router 😛

I had wanted all in one for the neatness, but thanks for the tip.

One thing I didn't do this time was change the SSID's and I've had fewer issues so far.

It seems better now... will have to test over next week or two to see what the speeds are like on both frequencies.

Thanks for your advice

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7