Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem Router CAX80 PLEASE HELp terrible wifi speeds

spacetoilet
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem Router CAX80 PLEASE HELp terrible wifi speeds

I recent purchased this Modem/Router so I didn't have to rent from Comcast. I have a Gigabyte package ( I get about 940 down)

but my wifi speeds are garbage on this equipment, like mid 50's max. On 5 ghz I managed about 245 but for $425 that seems crap too, and 2 plus hours on Netgears TRASH phone support I'm at a loss what to do. The people on the phone just bounced me around all telling me the same thing, try a different Wifi channel now run the test, hard reset the device etc... 

Is there something I'm missing? My default crappy comcast router that I had on my 200mbps plan at least got 140 down on 2.5ghz so what is going on? I didn't want to get the comcast Xfi Modem/router because I figured I'd pay now and save in the long run, and I checked allot of reviews on this thing saying how great it is..HELP!

Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem Router CAX80 PLEASE HELp terrible wifi speeds

I've used the CAX80 and it does work great. 

I can hit around 400-500mbps over the 5g, and roughly 70-110mpbs over the 2.4ghz depending on time of day. 

What speeds do you get hardwired into it? 

Since install, did you ever try a factory reset and install?

Message 2 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

I get almost 950mbps down on wired. Already factory reset, not sure what you mean by install?

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What wifi devices are you using to speed test? 
What wireless settings are you using on the CAX

Is Armor active on the CAX? 

Message 4 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

I'm using an iphone X and a 2018 ipad pro to test wifi speeds. As I did the hard reset the only different setting is the channel, and I have tried all of them with barely any difference.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Load up wifi sweetspots on your phone and pad and check the connection rate speeds seen with these connected with the CAX80.

Message 6 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

Ok so first of all I stumbled accross an option called:- enable 20/40mhz coexistence, and unchecked it. This improved my speeds but still seem bad. I used the Wifi Sweetspots app and it topped out at 85. Again, I'm on a gigabyte package from xfinity (which in real world on ethernet is getting about 940-950 down). I just don't understand why the wifi is slow bad.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll not see anything near 900mpbs on wifi. Also most phones and pads are only 2x2 wifi antenna supporting which would be a limiting factor of speeds. You need 4x4 or higher to achieve higher speeds. 

Even my iphone 12 Max is AX supporting however is limited by the 2x2 antenna support factor. 

Message 8 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

Oh yes I understand that but on my old comcast router, I would get like 120- 135 ish so why can't I get anything like that? On a far more powerful modem/router?

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Load up wifi sweetspots on your phone and pad and check the connection rate speeds seen with these connected with the CAX80.

Message 10 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

I already did that?

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

And? 

Message 12 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

Fastest speed 78 settled to around 45mbps

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd either contact NG support and ask for additonal help and information or return the CAX80 and try another. You should be seenig connection speeds well above that. 

Message 14 of 16
spacetoilet
Aspirant

Yeah I think I'm going to return this and just rent Xfinity's device. I've already been on the phone with NG support and they are USELESS, just reading off cards and having me change channels. Thanks anyway, this company obviousxly has garbage quality control, I should have took note of the bad reviews. 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Not all are bad. Mine works. 

Good Luck.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation